Not much love for the 35's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill_Long_Tan

Marksman
Reaction score
Throughout the years I have a special place in my heart for uncommon or rarer cartridges. Of course I have some of the most popular calibers like 223/5.56, 9mm, 308 Win and 270 Win, but the less popular traditional workhorses are just intriguing to me. I have noticed a great love for the 35 calibers but almost no new production rifles produced in them. It seems like the 35's really never took off but performance wise within practical hunting distances (to me 300 yards max) are awesome. Larger frontal area than 30 cal may actually matter to some, or the heavier bullets to brings "knockdown" power on game could be the other factor. To me the 35 cals sit in the cool factor that just works. I have a Marlin 35 Remington that in my personal opinion gives me what a 30-30 can do but better within the same platform. I have a 35 Whelen that gives me almost 338 Win Mag performance with slightly less recoil and traditional cool factor. Other 35's just gets my goat like the 358 Win which to me sounds almost perfectly balanced in most cases. The 350 Remington Magnum being one of the first if not first short mags, but handy in the Remington 600 rifle. The 358 Norma mag laying down the power that can take anything in North America. Why hasn't the 35 cals been more popular? It doesn't seem like any companies are trying to come out with something modern except maybe the 350 Legend which surprisingly took off. I would love to see a 358 Weatherby, 35 Nosler, 358 PRC or even a 358 Blackout but I see these being passed by. What do you think about the 35's? What 35's do you own?

(P.S a 358-378 Weatherby Mag should have been standard commercial loading by Weatherby)
I like them but they are not super popular. I suspect for three main reasons:
1 They are 9mm and are viewed by many in the US like soccer (not 'merican)
2 They tend to drop a lot so you have to actually know how to shoot to hit with them at distance.
3 They tend to be high in recoil and price in factory loadings.

Choprzrul

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its interesting to see some cartridges fail and some succeed regardless of performance. The 270 Win being an odd ball for several years just being a .277 until Jack O'Conner really enhanced its popularity. Right now all the rage is the Creedmoors and PRC's but the 6.8 Western is dying and its a heck of a round.
6.8 Western really should be named "270 WSM Short"

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Marlin 35 Remington that works great where I live...
20240701_113755.jpg

Powder Monkey

New to the site!
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
For the most part ,we hunt in mixed timber, & its rare to have shots much past 100 yards...so the .35's have worked well for me.

I hunt with bolt guns in .357mag, .35rem, .358win, & .350RemMag. Last fall i added one in .350legend, for no real reason other than the fact i didnt own one, which seemed like a legitimate reason to adopt that one also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom