Elk Calibers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never been Elk hunting but I have been invited to Colorado to do it many times.
My cousin loves his 7mm Rem Mag.
He told me there are 2 guys in their camp that use the 30-30 rifles and get their Elk every year.
He said they told him no shots past 250 Yards with the 30-30 but they kill fine at 250 with proper shot placement.
These guys have been doing this for over 20 years together.
One day I may go.
But I would need a third deep freezer.
Oklahoma white tails and hogs and fish keep me in meat to the point I do not need to buy any.

So justifying an Elk hunt in my mind is tough.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never been Elk hunting but I have been invited to Colorado to do it many times.
He told me there are 2 guys in their camp that use the 30-30 rifles and get their Elk every year.
He said they told him no shots past 250 Yards with the 30-30 but they kill fine at 250 with proper shot placement.
One day I may go.
Oklahoma white tails and hogs and fish keep me in meat to the point I do not need to buy any.

What about if you use my freezer instead of buying one? Need a little gas money? :) Biggest drawback to me is non resident elk tags in CO are running around $600.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Biggest drawback to me is non resident elk tags in CO are running around $600.

He told me a couple times he would pay for my tags!
I would never let him do that though.
I would have to split it up in different freezers and I am sure my cousin would be first on the list.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He told me a couple times he would pay for my tags!
I would never let him do that though.
I would have to split it up in different freezers and I am sure my cousin would be first on the list.
No need for that - my freezer would hold it all! 🤣

OP - apologies for sidetracking. Talk about elk and then thinking about elk burgers and my mind loses focus.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One day I may go.

Have you ate any elk?

Latest posts

Top Bottom