6.8 Western Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrappieSlayer44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Well I still carry a .45 or .44, not a 9mm fan at all and never will be. I highly doubt any new 6.5 or 6.8 is gonna reach out and kill anything better than a .270, 7mm mag or .300 mag. They reinvent the wheel every year but it's still round.
you do understand that .270 and 6.8 are the same size right?..... like literally the same pill just out of a different case?

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you do understand that .270 and 6.8 are the same size right?..... like literally the same pill just out of a different case?
It's all in a name, I guess 6.8 Western sounds better than .277 Western. Marketing, if someone makes a .21 Xtreme Long Rifle rimfire it will sell for a while then fall by the wayside. Like all the short mags from 20 years ago that you can't find ammo for.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to build a 6.8 Western but the lack of reloading components is what has stopped me. When has anyone seen a .277 projectile over 150 grns for sale? I have also wondered how it would do an an f open cartridge but again I havent found any heavy for caliber (especially a match bullet) to really try this cartridge. I am also biased and partial to the 270 win and wsm because I have killed a pile of deer with the both of them
https://bergerbullets.com/product/270-caliber-170-grain-extreme-outer-limits-eol-elite-hunter/

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 6.8 Western doesn’t do anything the 270WSM can do.

Although, sooner rather than later it won’t be supported but by one or two brass manufacturers who are constantly sold out and when you do find them you need a loan to purchase a meaningful amount. This is coming from someone who shoots a 7WSM.

A properly twisted 270WSM barrel will shoot the heaviest 6.8mm bullets at the speeds necessary to do the job and then some.

If you’re planning on purchasing a 6.8 Western and reload, first buy all the brass you think you might need before buying the rifle. If things don’t pan out in the future you can always sell the brass at an inflated price to all the nimrods (like me) who purchased the latest and greatest snake oil from those wizards at Browning and Winchester

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got both a 270 and 6.8 Western. I prefer the 6.8 Western. Never owned or even shot the 270 WSM so unlike others, I will not comment on something I am not personally familiar with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom