Not much love for the 35's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dig the 35’s. I have Whelen that I like a lot and have Marlin in 35 Remington that enjoy packing around. Never got to shoot anything other than a beaver with the 35 Remington. But I killed a pretty nice mule deer with the Whelen.

They both sling hefty bullets with out a lot of abuse to the shooter.

I keep on the lookout for a Ruger No1 in 35 Whelen. One I will own one.

prh79

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Throughout the years I have a special place in my heart for uncommon or rarer cartridges. Of course I have some of the most popular calibers like 223/5.56, 9mm, 308 Win and 270 Win, but the less popular traditional workhorses are just intriguing to me. I have noticed a great love for the 35 calibers but almost no new production rifles produced in them. It seems like the 35's really never took off but performance wise within practical hunting distances (to me 300 yards max) are awesome. Larger frontal area than 30 cal may actually matter to some, or the heavier bullets to brings "knockdown" power on game could be the other factor. To me the 35 cals sit in the cool factor that just works. I have a Marlin 35 Remington that in my personal opinion gives me what a 30-30 can do but better within the same platform. I have a 35 Whelen that gives me almost 338 Win Mag performance with slightly less recoil and traditional cool factor. Other 35's just gets my goat like the 358 Win which to me sounds almost perfectly balanced in most cases. The 350 Remington Magnum being one of the first if not first short mags, but handy in the Remington 600 rifle. The 358 Norma mag laying down the power that can take anything in North America. Why hasn't the 35 cals been more popular? It doesn't seem like any companies are trying to come out with something modern except maybe the 350 Legend which surprisingly took off. I would love to see a 358 Weatherby, 35 Nosler, 358 PRC or even a 358 Blackout but I see these being passed by. What do you think about the 35's? What 35's do you own?

(P.S a 358-378 Weatherby Mag should have been standard commercial loading by Weatherby)
I picked up an old tin Remington Autoloading Rifle advertising sign years ago with a hunter on a cliff with a bear coming around the corner. I bought the sign b/c it looked cool and found out it was advertising the Remington model 81 rifle. I had to have one and picked up on in 35 Remington. I’d love to take it out hunting but the rifle is in exceptional shape and I’d be afraid I’d scratch it!

I’ve taken it out to the range several times and love the gun. Kicks more than you’d think with the recoiling barrel but it sure is fun to shoot and everyone has to try it when I bring it out.

Prairie Traveler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Marlin 336SC, in .35 Rem. that I bought from a co-worker, back in the '70s. I've heard many people say that it's about the best pig round you could want. Particularly if you are after meat, and want one shot kills. {Yea this might start some talk with the AR crowd} I have wanted a .35 Whelen for many years. Still looking.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ain't nothing wrong with the .35's. I have been talking myself out of building a .35 Whelen for a number of years, and I would love to have a .35 Remington. Alas, I already have too many mouths to feed and a limited amount of time and money!

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandfather had a pump rifle in 35 Remington,,,
If I was a very good boy on a weekend,,,
He would let me shoot it.

I have no idea if it was a "good" rifle or not,,,
I was just enamored with it's action.

Although I could barely lift the dang thing,,,
And it kicked my skinny arse badly.