Competition Shooting - Pistol of Choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdunagan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys,

I am looking for a good starter gun to use in some pistol competitions, I am relatively familiar with the Glocks and the Springfields, however I am wanting to know some preferences of some of you guys who shoot regularly.

I am leaning towards a Glock 34, however, I understand the 17 can work as well. Also, I have heard a lot of good things about the Springfields XD 9mm.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

upnover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i dont think you could go wrong with either, the glock is compensated where i dont think there is an xd that is, mags, holsters, etc. will probably be cheaper and easier to find for a glock, etc. you can also get an advantage arms 22 conversion for a glock not sure for an xd yet.

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only compensated Glocks have a "C" at the end of the model number... You don't want one of those for competition, as the compensation puts you in "Open" division with guns that are way ahead of a stock Glock.

You could do a G34, XDm in 9mm, M&P Pro, CZ 75 SP01 Shadow, etc. Lots of choices. It's really just whichever one you personally feel more comfortable with. They are all competitive - it always comes down to the nut behind the wheel anyway!

Whichever one you get let OlYeller (Accurate Iron) do a trigger job & maybe a stippling on it if that is your thing. I would suggest also a CR Speed or Double Alpha 2-piece belt (if not shooting IDPA). Match that up with a good holster & some mag pouches and you will be set for quite a while!

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys,

I am looking for a good starter gun to use in some pistol competitions, I am relatively familiar with the Glocks and the Springfields, however I am wanting to know some preferences of some of you guys who shoot regularly.

I am leaning towards a Glock 34, however, I understand the 17 can work as well. Also, I have heard a lot of good things about the Springfields XD 9mm.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

If you're reloading (or can afford .40 cal) and really want to play the field with one gun get a Glock 35. It will allow you to play in nearly all divisions. You can download the .40 to minor power factor for Production or IDPA. Load it to major power factor and shoot Limited 10 or Limited. Otherwise go with the Glock 34. I shoot a 17 and have no problems...

Latest posts

Top Bottom