Cowboy justice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that legal?

Kind of off topic, but maybe not, My sister has done all of the family geneology, and found out we had a relative that was hung for stealing a horse. His name was Blackjack Ketchum.

Sound familiar? Think of Ketchum Oklahoma, and you will be a winner. Guess he founded the town or something? I get tired real quick of hearing that so and so was married to so and so, and ........you know the rest of the drill if you have anybody doing the geneology thing.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that legal?

Kind of off topic, but maybe not, My sister has done all of the family geneology, and found out we had a relative that was hung for stealing a horse. His name was Blackjack Ketchum.

Sound familiar? Think of Ketchum Oklahoma, and you will be a winner. Guess he founded the town or something? I get tired real quick of hearing that so and so was married to so and so, and ........you know the rest of the drill if you have anybody doing the geneology thing.

Uh, no.

Ketchum was founded by a Delaware Indian named James Ketchum.

Blackjack Ketchum was hung for murder and train robbery in the early 1900's in Clayton, NM. He was a Texas native and most of his tom foolery was carried out there and in NM. I'm sure he passed thru Indian Territory, but to my knowledge no crimes were ever attributed to him in the Nations. He got fat sitting in jail awaiting his date with the hangman, and when they dropped him, his head popped off.

How do I know all this worthless info you might ask? My wife's family used to own the Eckland Hotel in Clayton. There is quite a lot of local history associated with Ketchum's hanging. It's probably still one of the biggest things to hit that town. His spot in the local cemetery, where he was moved from his original resting spot in the old Boot Hill sometime in the last century, is quite prominent. I'm a little bit of a western history nut, and I've done a lot of research on 'ole Blackjack. Blackjack, by the way wasn't even his nickname. It was a case of mistaken identity. Nobody that actually knew him called him that. They called him by his given name of Tom.

If you are in fact related to the Thomas Ketchum, that had his head popped off by a bad executioner in Clayton, NM sometime in the early 1900's, that's pretty cool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom