Crow season opens Oct. 10th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if many of you guys are into hunting or shooting crows like I am, but crow season starts this Thursday October 10th..

I went and bought 2 big bags of bread today, to put out as bait for the crows. Just over 50 bags of bread, hamburger buns, bagels, etc.. It cost $13.50 for all of this bread...

IMG_20241008_112237572~2.jpg

I put out a package of hamburger buns as soon as I got home, and within 30 minutes I see a crow fly across the pasture with a hamburger bun stuck in the middle of it's beak! It looked hilarious! Wish I could have gotten a picture of it.

IMG_20241008_113653957.jpg

I keep a little bit of corn out for crows too.

IMG_20241008_113556920~2.jpg

I killed no less than a hundred crows last year with a new load I was shooting, and while wing shooting is a lot of fun, when it comes to crows, I still prefer long range shooting with a shotgun! Maybe one crow a day, out to around 90 yards or so, but it is extremely challenging and very rewarding when you shoot and one falls over at that distance.

I met some guys in Kansas last year that were also shooting crows at long range, and they were shooting that 18 g cc shot in sizes 9 and 7 and they were killing crows out to 125 yards! Excellent shooting on their part, but that type of shot is way too expensive for me to be using on a crow! I'll have to admit, those guys had done their homework when it came to developing a long range 12 ga. load, and their patterns were quite impressive!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you do with them after you shoot them. Use them for coyote bait.
They ain't worth eating! Or are they?
Coyote bait is exactly what I use them for! I tie a line around their feet, and run the line over a tree limb, and dangle the bird while a game call is calling with a crow in distress sound. I have killed a lot of coyotes with this set-up, usually shooting a load of T Buck in a 12 ga..

I tried to eat one back I guess a hundred years ago (not literally) and it was as tough as boot leather and it stunk after frying it up!

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coyote bait is exactly what I use them for! I tie a line around their feet, and run the line over a tree limb, and dangle the bird while a game call is calling with a crow in distress sound. I have killed a lot of coyotes with this set-up, usually shooting a load of T Buck in a 12 ga..

I tried to eat one back I guess a hundred years ago (not literally) and it was as tough as boot leather and it stunk after frying it up!
Doesn’t that bring in more crows?

Latest posts

Top Bottom