CVA Wolf what bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use TC Shockwave 250 grain with two 777 pellets for the Wolf and Encore. They do fine in both guns for the distance I need them to be good for, which is within about 150 yards. Haven't tried them past that.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the wolf, but I shoot a hornady 240 grain XTP .44 caliber with a sabo backed with a 30 and a 50 grain pyrodex pellet or 80 grains of pistol pyrodex in my encore or Remington.

In my Thompson white mountain carbine I shot 80 grains of pistol pyrodex and a maxi ball. can't remember the weight off the top of my head.

Used a dry patch,round ball and 80 grains of pistol pyrodex in the lyman great plains rifle.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wolf i think is 1:28 twist and the TC shockwaves work extremely well in that twist.
I have a 1:48 that does not like the TC shockwaves but loves powerbelt 295 gr with pyrodex
777 it hates.

My sons 1:28 uses the Shockwave 300gr in the .50 cal with 90gr loose 777 it does not like pyrodex.
He can punch bullseyes at 100 yards and back off to 200 and hit bullseye again.
His only deer with it was less than 10 feet.
You do not practice at that range often.. he actually shot from the hip and the smoke cleared and he walked forward and found one dead deer.

Muzzle loaders are awesome

You can get or could get yellow or black sabots for the shockwaves.
The yellow is a hair thinner and load much easier...Which you need for quick follow up shots.
Test both for accuracy though. my son's gun is most accurate with the yellow

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody shooting a Wolf and what bullets does your gun like?
We have 2 CVA Wolfs and 2 Rossi Braztec break action all .50cal. To clarify prior to getting them seasoned we have had terrible results with Buffalo Bore 265gr bare lead boolits and PowerBelt (bla.. bla. Marketing hype junk made for CVA's alllegedly) skirted 250gr by CVA over Pyrodex pellets 100gr or 150. Pioneer aka Shockley's Gold loose FFFG did equally bad with 100 grains.

But after reading on searches that those smoke pole bbls with 1:28 & 1:32 twist rates we have prefer the heavier 300gr T/C Shockwave Extreme yada.. long marketing name.. Sabots HP in black and have yet to try purchased for follow up shots yellow Aerotip in same 300gr wt. (No walmarts here carried over 270gr in Shockwave Aerotip or HP) over 80-84gr in the best quality posts of Hogdon 777 FFFG. So we bought some of both.

We finished the a box of 265gr buffalo bore over 70-72gr of the Shockley's Gold / Pioneer FFFG (2 year old at least bottle that had clumped & been declumped by my son of 19yrs) with great results as we were over doing it with lighter boolits and same good results with an entire box of hollow point Sabots in 265 gr something similar to the Shockwave in design (label had worn off hard plastic box trapezoid shape and same black slotted plastic sabot over 70-72gr Shockleys FFFG. Since the bbls were now getting seasoned and our groups tightened to about 2moa at 100yds after 2 half days of shooting several rifles. We moved to the new Shockwaves with good results at 70-72gr. I would be confident that up to 84gr of the Hogdon 777 FFFG would be great as the energy level I think is a bit lower for it. I did notice about half a thousands in tighter bore diameter when ramming the two brands of black skirted sabots on the CVA wolfs as compared to the Rossi/ Braztec's which rammed easier. The necessity of bore butter is not under emphasized on the CVA Wolf's and smooth non stop ramming as you might get stuck if bore is not recently cleaned with black sabot skirts. However those 300gr sabots shoot equally well in all 4 of ours with even that older powder. Had my doubts before but am pleased finally with all four 50cal rifles now. Only tge sights are junk. We are getting pickatinny rails ordered soon and green fibre optic ACOG's for the other three if the one works out that is due in monday for my CVA Wolf that I just put a Z-2 alloy rail on.
Going to hunt new area this week will post results.

Last edited:

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
to late for this season but my cva love hornady FPB 350gr with 2 777 pellets I have only had luck using 3 pellets with bullets over 400gr, also with the FPB I can easily kill deer out to 300 yards and the bullet is still blasting clean through the deer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom