Danny Tanner's 4 Safety Tips for Cooking with Glassware this Holiday Season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanksgiving marks the first major cooking holiday for this time of year and many of us use Pyrex or other quality soda-lime or, preferably, borosilicate glass bakeware.

If not handled right, these dishes can crack, shatter or, much worse, explode. Last year there were over 100,000 cases of injuries due to exploding glassware, shooting shards of glass into hands, forearms, and faces. While a drop in the ocean compared to the number of households using these products, it's still a number that can be greatly reduced by following these 4 tips:

1. Always place hot glass bakeware on a dry, cloth potholder or towel. Never place hot glass bakeware on top of the stove, on a metal trivet, on a damp towel, directly on a counter or in a sink.

2. Never put glass bakeware directly on a burner, even if it is turned off and at room temp, or under a broiler.

3. Always allow the oven to fully preheat before placing glass bakeware in the oven.

4. Always cover the bottom of the glass bakeware dish with liquid before cooking meat or vegetables. Not only does this help keep your food moist, it helps eliminate hot and cool spots on the bottom of your dish.

I've personally never experienced an exploding Pyrex dish, but my mom has. Fortunately, it was when the dish was sitting out and nobody was handling or even around it.

Good luck, good cooking, and Happy Thanksgiving to all the home chefs out there!

cdn.sheknows.com_filter_l_gallery_danny_tanner_with_two_girls.jpg

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I blew up a pyrex lid in the sink one day. My mom had placed the lid in the sink to cool. I walked in to rinse out a cup. The second the cold water hit the lid busted into countless pieces. Luckily none imbeded into my skin.

Other than that incident I know of no one else who has experienced this issue first hand.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Problem solved!! My wife bought a smoked turkey/Thanksgiving dinner from Whole Foods this year. No cooking, no dishes to wash(Chinet plates and clear plastic cups)!!! Even got to sample Whole Foods Thanksgiving food last weekend.

This year less cookin', more eatin':yelclap:

Cohiba

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pyrex and many other manufacturers have switched their glass formulas in recent years, and this has been linked to an upswing in breaking glassware. SO keep Danny's tips in mind this holiday season, and year round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom