Decent inexpensive rifle for deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with bushrat. Find a Rem 700 in a pawn shop and buy it. Savage is good in the 30-06 (my preference) but it depends alot on the terrain and how far you are going to be able to reach out. Plus you ability comes into play as well as what Cal you will shoot. I have hunted deer for 50 years (started when I was 9) and shot what I could afford. Then I just loved the 30-30 lever action and still do. Hate the 308 because it ruins too much meat. There are people that will dissagree with this but it's my experience and my shot placement it solid. You can get the 30-30 pretty cheap and it's a solid platform. A Savage or even a Marlin in the 30-06 are very reasonable priced and good hunting rifles with or withou optics.

What? .308 ruins too much meat, you prefer a .30-06?

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're a couple hundred dollars higher than what's been mentioned but the Weatherby Vanguard S2 seems to be a solid rifle and has a sub moa guarantee. They can be had in the $550 range.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago my wife bought a mossberg .270 at Academy for around $300. Over the years she's kind of taken over my prized Browning a-bolt medallion that I received from my parents as a college graduation present 20 years ago so I'm usually "stuck" with the mossberg and you know what, I like the heck out of that cheap gun!

Latest posts

Top Bottom