Decent inexpensive rifle for deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well I like the Marlin 336Y for an inexpensive field rifle. I've set mine up to be a poor mans "Scout-rifle". I added the scout rail and sights an a cheap extended eye relief scope. Loaded with Hornady's polymer tip ammo she's good to go out to 200yds, and I could probably push her a little farther.
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN5597_zpsd52b6113_1.jpg

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN5596_zps313bd2c1_1.jpg

pigguy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot my ruger American in 308 for the first time yesterday,though it was hot and humid,zeroed in with six shots then let the barrel cool then shot a 1.25 inch three shot group.No hiccups,bolt problems or magazine problems.Cant wait for cooler weather and try some different rounds to tighten up that group,and I paid $250 for it at wannamachers with the navy digital camo stock.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington 783 is the only budget rifle to consider nowadays: it's an honest evolution of Marlin XS7.
Other than that, just buy a package Savage trophy hunter from Academy - three position safety alone is worth the admission price.

Deer don't seem to care about a caliber much - good shots put them down and bad ones don't. (243 is the correct answer by the way).

The Remington 783 is a fine rifle. I set one up for a neighbor; scope, zero and all. Steel pillars in stock. Really nice trigger. Quality barrel. Well built detachable magazine. Its a solid step up from Remington's base rifle.

If I didn't buy the 783 I'd be seriously looking at the Ruger American.

Caliber is a choice. The venerable .30-'06 will do most anything if you choose the correct load and bullet weight. Commonly available caliber and potentially accurate to boot. Store-bought ammo in it easy to come by in 130, 150 and 180 gr bullet weights. Bullets for reloading it run from about 100 gr to about 220 gr.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My model 94 was built in 1974 and dad stuck a redfield widefield 4X scope on it.
That thing would bust small critters at 200 yards easily.
His cousin hunted Colorado for decades for elk with a 7mm rem mag.
2 guys in the camp used their lever action 30-30's and stated they will kill elk with 1 shot all the way to 250 yards.. they said this is their limit.

SO I set my scope to be zeroed at 250 yards.. I say my scope because i got the gun from my dad in 1999 or 2000.
I reloaded some ammo for my buddies 30-30 and it usually shoots 2.25" group size at 211 yards.

He has a lifetime license and the 30-30 if you practice is a quick accurate gun.
He drove into the woods on his 4 wheeler and just t got off of it and seen a deer running medium speed and brought the gun up and neck shot it.
turned around and his dad was comming down the trail on another 4 wheeler and as he panned over to see his dad there was another deer.
Told his dad stop and then fired at it.. neck shot again.

I force him to shoot a lot before season.. so he got his antler and antlerless in 1 day.
His dad said he thought he was fooling around. Until he walked him to both dead deer.

I have done the same with my 30-06 bolt action 2 times.. limit out in 1 day.

No matter what gun you get you owe it to yourself and the game you shoot at to practice a lot with it.

I have since brought the zero to 100 yards on the 30-30 as i let others use it ,, because i now have a 30-06, 243 and .308 for the way out there stuff.
I do love my 30-06 and .308

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with bushrat. Find a Rem 700 in a pawn shop and buy it. Savage is good in the 30-06 (my preference) but it depends alot on the terrain and how far you are going to be able to reach out. Plus you ability comes into play as well as what Cal you will shoot. I have hunted deer for 50 years (started when I was 9) and shot what I could afford. Then I just loved the 30-30 lever action and still do. Hate the 308 because it ruins too much meat. There are people that will dissagree with this but it's my experience and my shot placement it solid. You can get the 30-30 pretty cheap and it's a solid platform. A Savage or even a Marlin in the 30-06 are very reasonable priced and good hunting rifles with or withou optics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom