Deer Poaching

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw a sad sight this moring: head and cape cut off an 8-point whitetail buck ( apparently last night, judging by condition of eyes and meat) and lost off the back of a pickup in the gravel road.
Reported it to the game warden and watched it awhile, but didn't see anyone come back for it.
:nolike:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That makes me really angry. We have a terrible poaching problem in my area as well.
We do what we can to patrol the area but we can't be there 24/7.
We always see carcasses with the head cut off, or some that have been shot in a bad place and run off to die.
I wish I'd taken a pic of the 4 large bodied bucks that had nothing but their heads cut off and thrown in one of my waterways. The GW got to see them.
We know who it is, but the GW in the country is stretched way beyond his means, and can't be everywhere. He has busted them twice. Once for too many does, and another time for spotlighting, but Daddy keeps bailing them out.
I'm so rabid against poaching......

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At first read, I was trying to figure out how you knew it was an 8 pt, when the head an cape were missing. Brain Fart.

As for poachers, let's fit them all for a nice new pair of cement slippers and find a deep hole in the closest river.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At first read, I was trying to figure out how you knew it was an 8 pt, when the head an cape were missing. Brain Fart.

As for poachers, let's fit them all for a nice new pair of cement slippers and find a deep hole in the closest river.

my fist thought too... had to read a few times going how does he know its an 8 if thee head was gone :(

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yep, you caught on.
They lost the head and cape in the middle of the road, and were probably afraid to be seen coming back to get it. I'm sure the rest of the carcass is lying rotting wherever they shot it.
Absolute total waste of a trophy deer. Not only greedy but stupid too.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hearing of this story makes my blood boil... You obviously have to catch these folks first, but if we had some VERY strong penalties, it might just be a bit more of a deterrent. Do something like some of the drug seizures. Lose your truck, money, rifle, along with a very hefty fine with the possibility of jail time.etc...

Stories like this get all sportsmen lumped together as bad guys in the eyes of the media and anti-hunters..

Just my two cents...

Latest posts

Top Bottom