Defensive Practical Rifle Saturday Semptember 7 OCR&GC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
15 + shooters , no one melted , 1 lost mag-- see Jack

Actually a little skin on my knee melted when I knelt on some hot brass on on the third stage. Nice blister now.

Despite the heat and me feeling like I was in slow motion it was a good time. I had not made it to a match of any kind since spring and it felt good to shoot some lead downrange.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Results are posted as a File at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OklahomaPracticalRifle/

Thanks to all for coming. Hope you enjoyed the varied challenge of stages, some shorter shots, some far, but most middling distant. Found: a magazine for a rifle; please identify. Count your mags. This one could be the one that you are short.

Your next Oil Capital Defensive Practical Rifle match is Saturday October 5th.

Come shoot with us!

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will not be back to this match or any other at Oil Capital. I decided, against the warnings of several shooters, to take a new rifle shooter to this match. She wanted some trigger time with her new rifle so I saw this as an opportunity for her to learn with it.

The first three stages were fun and creative. Kris got to learn about mechanical offset of a scope on close targets and got smoother with her rifle transitions.

When we got to the last two stages, the other squad was on stage 4 so we went to stage 5. I was told by the RO on the other squad we would wait in the heat for them to finish stage 4. I asked him why we would do that when we have an empty bay and he said so they wouldn't have to wait on us to finish stage 5. We were then told we could wait or we could tear down the stages by ourselves. Since we had six shooters on our squad and they had three shooters left, either squad would have had to wait an equal amount of time. I guess the locals think their time is more important than the visitors to their range.

This is the kind of ridiculous behavior that has kept any serious shooters/competitors from shooting at this range. I truly should have listened to my fellow shooters when they told us not to go to this match.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will not be back to this match or any other at Oil Capital. I decided, against the warnings of several shooters, to take a new rifle shooter to this match. She wanted some trigger time with her new rifle so I saw this as an opportunity for her to learn with it.

The first three stages were fun and creative. Kris got to learn about mechanical offset of a scope on close targets and got smoother with her rifle transitions.

When we got to the last two stages, the other squad was on stage 4 so we went to stage 5. I was told by the RO on the other squad we would wait in the heat for them to finish stage 4. I asked him why we would do that when we have an empty bay and he said so they wouldn't have to wait on us to finish stage 5. We were then told we could wait or we could tear down the stages by ourselves. Since we had six shooters on our squad and they had three shooters left, either squad would have had to wait an equal amount of time. I guess the locals think their time is more important than the visitors to their range.

This is the kind of ridiculous behavior that has kept any serious shooters/competitors from shooting at this range. I truly should have listened to my fellow shooters when they told us not to go to this match.

What really happened here is that there were 1-2 shooters remaining to shoot on the squad on stage 4. They were about to be done and move on to stage 5, as a complete squad, to shoot their last bay of the match.

If the squad that the poster was with had jumped forward to stage 5, they would have gotten finished with the match maybe 10 minutes sooner. However off-shoot of their actions would have been to force an entire squad to wait the entire length of time required for that total squad to shoot the bay, perhaps 30-40 minutes.

Sometimes in the shooting sports its necessary to wait a little to allow a lot of others to not have to wait a long time. That's a hallmark of good sportsmanship.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is absolutely not correct Jack. You were not there when this occurred as you were in the bathroom. There were three shooters left in their squad. It would have been an equal wait for both parties. Would good sportsmanship include stepping up to help RO a squad when none of the locals did/would? Don't take my sportsmanship into question Jack. You are way out of your league there.

There is a reason no serious shooters/competitors show to any of your matches and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with THEIR sportsmanship. It was my mistake to think things would be any different than they had been in the past.

HKP7M13

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings all,

To clarify the situation there were 3 shooters left to shoot stage 4, 2 of the three shooters volunteered to not shoot the stage so the next squad could shoot sooner. j&k did not know this as he left. It was hot and everyone was tired, but every effort was made to keep the game flowing and everyone happy. Everyone got to shoot all of the stages, the two shooters that voluneered to waite shot stage 4 after J&K's squad moved to stage 5. I have been to many matches over 5 years or so, mostly local club matches, but I have also worked and shot in several nationals and state events. I can say that there can be ball ups at stages and it is not possible to keep every shooter happy at all times. We all need to work together as a shooting community to keep our sport from being taken away by the antigun people not fighting each other over somthing like a 10 min waite to shoot a stage.

We need to have fun and be safe and shoot more not quarel and bicker.

John

note, there are people who are very happy to look for bad grammer and misspelled words so I have inserted some for them to find.

Latest posts

Top Bottom