DIY crystal radio form a matchbox.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if you find yourself without batteries for a radio this would be a very good portable cheap and simple radio that will keep you connected even if the power goes out.

This would be small enough to toss in a glove box of a car or keep in your shelter, etc. Basically a grab and go with no need to worry about batteries. Make a couple so the kids won't be fighting over the radio while you are hiking or hiding.

Normally a crystal radio would require a couple capacitors but as you can see this one will work without on strong radio stations so would also be something that can be put together with a minimal amount of parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember as a kid listening to WKLS in Chicago on my crystal radio at night when I was supposed to be asleep. The best reception was obtained by putting the alligator clip on the knob of the table lamp that was brass at the time. Very cool that this still exists. :D

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember as a kid listening to WKLS in Chicago on my crystal radio at night when I was supposed to be asleep. The best reception was obtained by putting the alligator clip on the knob of the table lamp that was brass at the time. Very cool that this still exists. :D

I used the old bed springs as my antenna with an alligator clip. I listened to KOMA as it was the strongest signal out there for me.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived in NE and SD for a while as a kid, and had all sorts of antennas and radios purposely
built to listen to the top 40 on KOMA while I was "sleeping"

The closest AM station was about 35 miles, and could be heard on a crystal radio and
my 160' long wire antenna, actually an extra strand of wire on top of the fence posts.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Later on, I ran a long wire up the outside wall and across the roof to the corner of the detached garage on the other side of the house. I had it running under the screen and window, and had a ground wire going to the galvanized pipe in the bathroom across the hall. When the weather got wonky, I would get small discharges across the coil from static buildup. My dad put a spark plug on the antenna lead with the threaded portion tied to the ground and that kept things from getting too bad.. The wire was about 30 gauge spooled off an old relay armature.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used the old bed springs as my antenna with an alligator clip. I listened to KOMA as it was the strongest signal out there for me.

I got my crystal radio in an ad from a comic book. Think I paid $2 or something for it, plus a little for shipping. Had to mow two yards to pay for it! :D You could buy a book for a buck that would teach you how to look just like Charles Atlas in that same comic book. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom