DIY long term food

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What are some of your favorite home made long term storage meals? We can all buy stored foods but can you make them?

I've never attempted however, I have heard some some people making their own.

5 gallon beans and rice:
I've been told a guy (or BadgeBunny) can place 2cups of salt inside a ziplock bag and place it in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. From there you fill the bucket about 3-4 inches from the top with white rice. Then you put approximately 2 inches of canned beans (open cans and dump them on top of the rice). Seal the 5 gallon bucket using a lid and clear silicone. The bucket should be stored in a cool place such as a cellar/basement.

I don't claim it works but i would be curious. What do you think?

Any methods to share?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm ... Wasn't me ... Is this rice cooked? Why would you open cooked, canned beans and dump them on top??

I may be reading your post wrong but what you've described (at least the way I'm reading it) is not gonna work because the food is gonna rot in the bucket.

:scratch:

Let me get back with you with some more info when I'm not on my phone ...

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
it might work.. if your looking to make a 5 gal bucket of evil bad kill you if you eat it stuff.....I think your leg has been pulled my friend.
I found it hard to believe too. I do think doing this with the beans still canned would be effective. Protein, starch, and sodium enough for multiple people in a portable, semi weatherproof package

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
now if your looking to make a bucket for some simple red beans and rice or something like that... I would go with all dry ingredients and in there own separate pooches. like all you spices in their own pouch and the same with the beans.... or if your looking for basic rice and brown beans.. pretty much the same thing... the beans would take much longer to cook than the rice so they would need to be separated out.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
now if your looking to make a bucket for some simple red beans and rice or something like that... I would go with all dry ingredients and in there own separate pooches. like all you spices in their own pouch and the same with the beans.... or if your looking for basic rice and brown beans.. pretty much the same thing... the beans would take much longer to cook than the rice so they would need to be separated out.

OK, clock beat me to it but yeah ... IF I was gonna do my own, this is how I'd do it ... If you are gonna store these for longer than a year or so I'd be sure to use o2 absorbers in them and seal them airtight ... Otherwise, date and rotate regularly ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom