Dodge/Ram Question About Wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a 1998 Dodge 1500 short bed 2WD with 16" wheels. Needs new tires. My DiL has a 2019 Ram 1500 with 17" wheels/tires. She's offered them to us for use on our old farm truck because we need new tires and don't want to spend a lot of money on tires for the beater truck.

My question is: Will the 17" wheels from her 2019 fit the old truck? I've tried to find an answer thru a web search but I've either missed it or just can't find it.

Appreciate an answer if any of you guys know.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
As long as her tires are stock size I don’t see why they wouldn’t fit. You could mount one of the fronts and see if it clears while turning the wheel to see if it doesn’t rub

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well... The wheels from the new truck are 4.5 hrs away in TX. The old truck is in Ada. I'm hoping to know for sure before I drove down to pick them up.

I'm more concerned about the bolt pattern. I'm not worried about the size of the tires. The newer ones are stock...not over-size or anything. Pretty sure the clearance will be fin. Just wondering if the bolt pattern is the same.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yours should be 5x5.5, and I am pretty sure hers will be a six lug.

Also, I think some of the second gen Rams had a very large hub / bearing that do not fit in all wheels. They changed it on the later years of second gen to be smaller and fit most wheels, but I do not know if that change was on or before 98 or not.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also to the op, please take note of the hub size comment. 3rd gen rims will have the same bolt pattern as a second gen Ram but depending on when they did the hub change, they will not fit because of the center. I say this so you don't grab another set of cheap rims from a Ram and find out they don't fit if yours has the large hub. I feel like it changed in either 1998, or 2001 as the last year of the second gen.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a buddy with a 96 RAM and he bought some wheels from a 2004 RAM and they would not fit because of that. Bolt patterns match if you Google it, but you could not get them to mount because of the center hub.

Latest posts

Top Bottom