Does a trail rider or horseback hunter ever need to learn to gallop a horse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This might come in handy in emergencies. You might have to run like the devil from wild Indians, bear, cougar wolf, Bigfoot or bandits while out on a big-game hunt.

I ask because Ted DeHass's "Handy Horseman" series on you tube only covers the following gaits:

1. walk
2. trot
3. canter

There is no need to cover PACE because you are not racing a sulkie on horseback.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely. Learning all aspects of riding is important.

There is what you plan for and then there is what actually happens. Some of the time, those things are vastly different.

We hunt off mule/horses a lot.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
41a832886fb47157020e702a413270a6.jpg

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Ya beat me to it. For a dude on limited funds, forced to live in God forsaken middle America this chucklehead wastes a lot of time daydreaming about sheet that doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

i think we all daydream about BS it’s just a matter of if we want to tell strangers on the internet about it. Lmao

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never been on the back of a galloping horse. No cowboy or practical horseman would ever ride a horse with manes and/or tails in braids. But I digress. I have heard of "loping" Harley-Davidsons but not loping horses. I need a vehicle (of the hay-eating kind) to haul me and my deer out of the boonies where vehicles of the motorized kind are prohibited.

How sharp are you going to turn on a galloping pony anyway? Don't you just lean inward as on a motorcycle?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Learn to gallop????? I guess I never had exposure to that kind of thinking/lack of critical thinking. I can assure you the horse already knows "how to gallop". There ain't no learning there is just hanging on. Sheesh! City folk!

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were on the back of a galloping horse or even a cantering horse, I would want to do so as safely and comfortably as possible. I probably should call up a horseback riding school and ask if the gallop is part of the curriculum. I think I should ask about all the gaits including the lope. Is this the gait where the horse sounds like a Harley Big Twin with a cam? I've heard of LOPE in terms of motorcycle sounds. Supposedly, an engine with a certain cam has a nice "lope" to it.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were on the back of a galloping horse or even a cantering horse, I would want to do so as safely and comfortably as possible. I probably should call up a horseback riding school and ask if the gallop is part of the curriculum. I think I should ask about all the gaits including the lope. Is this the gait where the horse sounds like a Harley Big Twin with a cam? I've heard of LOPE in terms of motorcycle sounds. Supposedly, an engine with a certain cam has a nice "lope" to it.
What the F_ _ _ _ does this mean.

Latest posts

Top Bottom