Domestic Violence and Guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always wondered why there is a separate law for "domestic violence"??? Assault is assault, regardless of who is involved, and I sure don't think simple assault is grounds for stripping anyone of their constitutional rights.

The Lautenberg amendment is especially heinous because it is retroactive! Someone who plead no contest years ago, whether guilty or not, because that was the easiest way to get on with their life, were made criminals by a simple stroke of a pen. How is that right??

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always wondered why there is a separate law for "domestic violence"??? Assault is assault, regardless of who is involved, and I sure don't think simple assault is grounds for stripping anyone of their constitutional rights.

The Lautenberg amendment is especially heinous because it is retroactive!

That is the biggest part of the law I have a problem with. There is no excuse for spousal abuse by man or woman, and IMHO it should be a Felony crime that cannot be plead out to a lower crime, it should also be a mandatory prosecution Felony crime for a spouse to falsely accuse another of abuse. But to take someone's rights away retroactively is wrong.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is the biggest part of the law I have a problem with. There is no excuse for spousal abuse by man or woman, and IMHO it should be a Felony crime that cannot be plead out to a lower crime, it should also be a mandatory prosecution Felony crime for a spouse to falsely accuse another of abuse. But to take someone's rights away retroactively is wrong.

Yeah, it's the same thing with "hate crimes".....:screwy:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with Veggie on this one. I think the guy shouldn't lose his gun rights over the deal. I don't believe he hauled off an smacked her for no reason. This woman can be very difficult to even be around for a couple hours. I'm not saying that she deserved to get hit, but I'd be willing to bet she did everything in her power verbally to bring it to that point. The guns were in the house at the time and he didn't shoot her. I have no reason to believe that he'd come back and shoot her now.

I can't stand a man that hits a woman. If my dad were to hit my mom, there would be no police. My brother and I would beat the ever loving snot out of him.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to assume you are a woman by your screenname. So if you are really a guy just posing with a woman's name trying to pick up dudes on a forum, then please disregard this post.

Yes by all means if they're guilty of domestic abuse (which is one of the few physical contact laws that isn't seen as a felony) let's make sure they can keep their firearm so they can just shoot their family member next time.

Looks to be a contradictory of terms given your previous statement of "If you're guilty of abuse, keep your guns man!" If your guilty just say she's lying, even with that mountain of evidence corroborating her lies. And it was right on point since the original poster said he admitted to hitting her, not irrelevant at all..

I like how you immediately assume that just cause a guy hits a woman, that he is automatically going to shoot his family next time. If he was going to shoot them, why would he not just go ahead and get it over with? This statement seems to be biased at best. I bet there are plenty of guys that beat their wives but never shoot them!! No reason for that kind of knee jerk reaction that can do a lot of harm to everyone involved. Should a guy hit a woman? Only if she kicks him in the nuts or hauls off and hits him like a man. Want to play like a man or kick guys in the nuts, then be ready for the man's response. Otherwise, it is usually not a fair contest but I have seen videos that show that not to always be the case.

dustingaunder - Do you really think he should be able to keep his guns after he admittedly hit someone and it wasn't self defense? If this woman was your daughter there would be no question, you'd want his guns taken away. But since it's a woman you don't know, I'm guessing the answer is different

As for the "if this was your daughter" comment, I would not necessarily want to have his rights stripped. First, since she is my daughter I would probably know how much of a pain in the ass she can be having raised her. Second, I would be having a talk with him, find out his side of the story so I could determine the truth, and come to an understanding with him that he will not lay his hands on my daughter again. Leave and cool off or do whatever but don't hit my daughter. However, I would never think that he would shoot my daughter the next time unless he said "I will kill you next time!!!!" That is usually a good indication he is either really mad or he really will kill her.

Latest posts

Top Bottom