Don't find these everyday fishing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fishing the Kiamichi yesterday, saw something below the surface. I thought, that stick sure is shaped like an antler. Rowed over to it and pulled up a 10 pt. I'm sure some ol boy was pissed when he couldn't find the deer he gut shot. What they say is true, deer gets shot, many times they will head for water and jump in.

[Broken External Image]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was the whole deer there or could someone have been letting the fish clean it for them? Cool find anyway.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I have a skull hanging in a pond as we speak. Took a young'un out for his first deer last fall, and he wanted the head, but didn't have any way or money to get it mounted, so I took it, and have it in the pond. Its pretty clean now. I'll get it out, and make a board for it so he can have his trophy.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did the molars look like. It could have just died too. Alot of deer die every year that were never shot by a hunter. We've found them with broken jaws, no teeth, or just so worn down and weak they just can't go on.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What did the molars look like. It could have just died too. Alot of deer die every year that were never shot by a hunter. We've found them with broken jaws, no teeth, or just so worn down and weak they just can't go on.

I found two skulls shed hunting this spring, that were button bucks. I suspect a winter kill?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suspect this fellar was shot. His whole body was in the water, so he wasn't there intentionally. Looked like a healthy young buck as far as I could tell. He was pretty young, would have made a nice buck in a couple of years. Plus the fact that I am across the river from some poachin sumbitches, coulda been shot under a light, no effort made to retrieve it. Who knows...

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was actually doing more scouting than fishing. Where I am, the Kiamichi is only 3 or 4 foot deep, but there are some deeper holes around the bends and rock ledges. Finally got my little jon boat back that I can throw in the water and not have to worry bout tearing up a lower unit or prop on a rock. I found a good hole that is about 10-12 foot deep, rocky with a little bit of brush. That was enough to put a little lead in my pencil, if you know what I mean. So threw my bait traps in the tanks over the weekend and have a bucket full of bullheads and 5 or 6 inch green perch. Me and ol Mr. Flathead have a date tonight. I'm gonna throw jugs out in that hole and see what happens. I have been catching quite a few smaller flatties in the shallows after dark, but I want big boy. Hoping it isn't full of channels and blues, but I reckon they'll eat to. I am having a fish fry, so I will just feed them to the guests and keep the flats for myself. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom