Dove recipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my famous dove recipe. It has been a family secret for years and will be handed down one time if I give it to my son!!! :)

Most people tell you to wrap them in bacon, with jalapeño, marinade them in Italian dressing, grill them, blah, blah, blah. All those recipes do is mask the flavor of the dove.

You need 15 dove, 6 eggs, 1/2 cup of milk, 2 teaspoons of salt, black pepper to taste, and white flour.

First of all, here's the weird part. After you shoot the dove, put them in the fridge for a week. Use a wal-mart bag, leave it open so it can breathe, and make sure there's no water in the bag. Yes, heads, guts, feathers and all. A friend of mine told me this is an old English bird hunters method to cure the meat. I didn't believe him, but he convinced me to try it. Trust me......I was as skeptical as YOU are but it works.

Clean the birds. Split the inner and outer breast and leave the outer breast attached to the keel bone. It will look like what I call a "batwing". Rinse the birds and let drain. The marinade doesn't stick well if the birds are wet.

Heat your cooking oil. Use about 2" of vegetable oil in a pot. You will need enough oil to barely immerse the birds. You don't want to have to turn the birds. Heat until a drop of water sprinkled in it sizzles.

Make a marinade of the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Make sure you open the "batwing" so the mixture gets between the inner and outer breast. Marinate 5 minutes or so.

Toss the birds in flour, again, be sure and hold the "batwing" open so the flour gets in every nook and cranny. If you do this right, your fingers will be caked with batter and look like you've stuck your fingers in play-dough! Shake off excess flour.

Flash fry the birds by placing them keel-bone down in the oil. DO NOT OVERCOOK!!! Most people ruin wild game by overcooking!!! The meat should be slightly pink. About 2-3 minutes or so.

Enjoy!! Let me know what you think.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 176

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, there must be something to this. I was talking to a guy from England a few months ago that ran a small slaughter house for turkeys. He said they would kill the turkeys and hang em in the cooler for a full 7 days before they would do anything to them. He said it would be the best turkey you would ever eat. Never tried it but I sure might...

Latest posts

Top Bottom