Dove Season 2023

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started out on the tractor at daylight by the Salt Fork, drove to Alva around noon for corn and groceries, to Cherokee to check the mail on the way back to the house, a 20 mile round trip to fill feeders, and a 10 mile Ranger ride this evening with the dogs, and I‘ve seen 5 doves total today (2 of those are yard doves). There’s none on or around the feedlot by my house, and I didn’t see any around the refuge. :anyone:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started out on the tractor at daylight by the Salt Fork, drove to Alva around noon for corn and groceries, to Cherokee to check the mail on the way back to the house, a 20 mile round trip to fill feeders, and a 10 mile Ranger ride this evening with the dogs, and I‘ve seen 5 doves total today (2 of those are yard doves). There’s none on or around the feedlot by my house, and I didn’t see any around the refuge. :anyone:
You are up in my old college days stomping grounds. I made friends with the farmers and ranchers up there when I worked for the Alva Sale Barn and Tri K Equipment. I had multiple options during bird season.

https://www.facebook.com/WDGunsLLC/

Marshall Reigh

Stdpnosoeru9h9gat5gt180 uua530mlM:AAug afihtm 4193c06s tu82u ·
It’s almost Labor Day weekend and with that marks the beginning of the fall hunting seasons. Dove season opens Friday September 1 with free hunting days landing on Saturday the 2nd and Sunday the 3rd for Oklahoma residents only. (Don’t forget about when you took that plug out of your gun to hunt quail last year) You still have time to get out and scout and find a spot rather than being the “hey if you need an extra gun guy”. Birds are starting to congregate in cut corn, bailed crabgrass that went to seed, and cut milo fields. Be mindful of your dogs with the weekend temps over a hundred coming up. Heat stroke is nothing to mess with in dogs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had an awesome hunt today over the burned wheat fields. On the one quarter section I hunted, there were two hunters on the North fence that took a limit each. Myself in the middle took a limit and a group of three kids and two adults each got a limit. Hundreds of birds everywhere.
I got set up at 5:00 pm, killed 14 by 6:30 and had to wait until 7:00 pm to get the limit.
Headed back tomorrow evening but not sure where to go. We have some land behind a retired game wardens home. He was one of the hunters on me tonight. He said there were 300-400 dove on the high lines. Flip of the coin to see which place to go to. We will be taking a first time dove hunter with us tomorrow. He’s going to use my lite 20 Rem 1100. 10 years old.
Tonight’s firearm was a Rem model 48 in 16 ga that was inherited from FIL. It ran everything from 1 1/8 oz loads to 7/8 oz loads with out any issues.
IMG_2034.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom