Dry Canning ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife does popcorn. Buy those huge bags at Sam's and then put in quart mason jars.
Flour and powdered sugar go in zip lock bags and 5 gallon buckets.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife does popcorn. Buy those huge bags at Sam's and then put in quart mason jars.
Flour and powdered sugar go in zip lock bags and 5 gallon buckets.

Why do you need sugar in 5 gallon buckets? Making some shine for trading material?

:D

We feed 30-40 hummingbirds a day, so go through a LOT of sugar. When I go to the store, they give some strange looks when I roll up with 20, 1lb bags in the cart.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you need sugar in 5 gallon buckets? Making some shine for trading material?

We feed 30-40 hummingbirds a day, so go through a LOT of sugar. When I go to the store, they give some strange looks when I roll up with 20, 1lb bags in the cart.

Buy 50 lb bags granulated and 25 lb powdered at Sam's. Cheaper by the pound. Wife and day do a lot of baking.
20 1#, try 4 50# and 4 25# plus 50# bags of flour and popcorn (chickens love it). Them at sam's is worse than me at feed store.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have considered this method for pecans, but I think I will just vacuum seal them and freeze them. I just need to pick them all out first. ugh.

That was more interesting to me than the flour and cornmeal, actually. I may bite the bullet next time I'm feeling decent and put up a dozen pints ... then open them every six months to see if it really helps keep them from going rancid on the shelf. The bulk of my nuts stay in the freezer ... :P

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

We do this as well, but we found a better outlet to buy our sugar. We know a guy that drives a truck for a restaurant supply, we get a 50# sack for a lot cheaper. Put it in a 5 gallon bucket for storage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom