dry firing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read here that dry firing can be good for a new semi-auto. My new Taurus 709 slim dry fires reatedly without cycling the slide. There is potential for me to dry fire it a lot while sitting around. Before I do this I would like to verify that this woint be bad for it.

Thanks. B

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dry firing and shooting the gun with live ammo are pretty much the same. Of couse dry firing you don't have the recoil. For most all modern pistols/revolvers dryfiring isn't going to do any more damage than live firing.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spit the front half of a firing pin out a Browning BDM by dry firing. Of course, it is probable it could also break when live firing. I noticed the replacement firing pin for the BDM had a little more beef up front.
Didn't stop me from dry firing.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dry firing is ok in most if not all centerfire weapons.

Dry fire a Mauser, buy a new firing pin. Did you get a n owners manual with that new pistol? Most address this issue.

His Taurus is a striker-fire gun - if its like the 709s I've seen (and Glocks, XDs, etc...) it states in the manual that in order to take it down, it must be dry-fired.

N8 Soul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
H&K USPs should NOT be dry fired without a snap cap.

A word of caution... I have mentioned dry-firing here several times. The reader should be advised that, due to the design of the USP firing pin and firing pin block, significant stress is placed on the firing pin during dry firing. Because repeated applications of this stress can lead to firing pin breakage, Heckler & Koch recommends that snap caps be used when dry firing. I initially disregarded this advise, and my firing pin broke after a few weeks. H&K replaced it at no charge when I shipped the slide back to them, but it could have been avoided. And changing the firing pin on a USP is considerably tougher than on a 1911. Not only must the firing pin, firing pin spring, firing pin block, and firing pin block spring be held captive during the process, but the entire mechanism is held in with a roll pin, rather than a stop like the 1911.

from: http://www.outdoors.net/site/features/feature.aspx+Forum+Firearms+ArticleCode+901

Latest posts

Top Bottom