Energy company locks thermostats at +80 degrees for 22,000 customers during ‘energy crisis’

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I am having a hard time feeling too sorry for them. They can always keep a spare analog thermostat on hand and just swap them out if they decide the utility company has too much control.

We are waiting on our third attempted repair for our main geothermal unit and are going on 8 weeks of no air conditioning. It is far from ideal, but definitely not unlivable. Our main concern now is that my wife goes in for surgery next week and it looks like she may be trying to heal in a non-climate controlled space. I have let them know our discomfort is about to become very contagious if we dont get a resolution soon.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're on smart hours here too. In summer during the high cost times, I have it set to where the AC won't come on until the rates come down.

No big deal: precool the house to 71, AC shuts of at 2pm. Run ceiling fans until 7pm. AC comes back on.
Sometimes it gets up to 80-ish before the AC kicks back on, but I can handle it for an hour.

If you think it's hot in here, go sit on the porch.

Having said that, I still have old thermostat sitting on a shelf in the garage. OGE tries to control my Smarthours thermostat once, the old one goes back on the wall.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're on smart hours here too. In summer during the high cost times, I have it set to where the AC won't come on until the rates come down.

No big deal: precool the house to 71, AC shuts of at 2pm. Run ceiling fans until 7pm. AC comes back on.
Sometimes it gets up to 80-ish before the AC kicks back on, but I can handle it for an hour.

If you think it's hot in here, go sit on the porch.

Having said that, I still have old thermostat sitting on a shelf in the garage. OGE tries to control my Smarthours thermostat once, the old one goes back on the wall.
Amazing, we were a first world nation, now we are "engineered" to save $ by being bound to different hours of power. At one time if you wanted to save money you could simply turn up or down the thermostat by personal choice. Not a criticism of you, if I could I would do "smart hours" and keep my old thermostat in hibernation but a choice between discomfort some of the time or be punished.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I’m not at my OK house, I leave my thermostat set at 85* in the summer and 50 in the winter, and I‘ve been shocked a couple time when I get there at how cool 85 is when it’s 100 or more outside.

I never turn my thermostat below 78 in the summer, so I have no sympathy for the folks in the article.

Latest posts

Top Bottom