Exotic fruit /vegetables that grow in Oklahoma.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avtomatkalashnikov47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So this is going to sound quite random, but I have gardened a few times in my life and it's in my blood as I come from a long line of farmers.

So, long story short I was at the super market the other day and saw this insane looking almost alien like fruit vegetable thing.
Come to find out it's a African ground vine plant that produces these spiked cucumber watermelon things and was bright orange. They wanted 10 whole doallers for the damn thing.

So I got to thinking. The world's a big place right? 10$ for one tiny little thing that you sure as heck probably can't get anywhere else.

Surely there's gotta be some vegetables or fruit like that... Something from China or Asia, Russia, Africa... Something they don't sell at grocery stores.

Something that's good to eat or tasty. Something that people would almost definitely want to try just because people want to try new things always.

It's just an idea, I'm gonna start looking at starting my own garden next year if I find anything interesting looking that I feel like I have a good chance at growing and making maybe some extra $ on the side.

Anybody grow anything interesting you can't really buy at your typical grocery store around here?

avtomatkalashnikov47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah. Sure is alot of them here. I stay on the legal side of things to keep myself out of trouble.

Anyhow it just sounded like a fun project and thing to do on the side to make some extra money.

But who knows with this legislation. Might end up on the news for growing something considered illegal or banned, like a random plant from China. Think I remember hearing people receiving random seeds in the mail from China or something

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chinese chives. The hardiest and easiest to grow edible plant of which I am aware. In a pinch I guess you could eat them any which way. But the only way I recommend under normal conditions is to chop some into beaten eggs and frying the mixture.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Armenian Cucumber. Its actually an I mature melon. (Fully ripe it is kinda like a bland honeydew) it is like a normal cucumber but sweeter with finer flesh.
IMG_20230805_210103.jpg

Also any melon. There are many melons that we never see on the shelves. I grew GIallo d'inverno this year. They're from an Italian village. Best melon I ever had.
1700005035173.png

Also Sakata sweet. A Japanese melon. Legend has it it was brought back to Nor Cal in the pocket of a soldier in the pacific. Taste like bubble gum.

1700004891835.png

I am going to try some more exotics next year.

I'm in my second year of growing tropical passion fruit next to the house but no fruit yet.

Maypop passion fruit is native to OK.

Attachments

• 1700004895117.png
    1700004895117.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom