Factory ammo for Africa trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, disclaimer first: the only factory ammo I've shot much in years is rimfire and shotgun ammo. That being said, my wife and I will be going to Africa for the first time next year if all goes as planned. 6 species package (unless we add while there): duiker/steenbok, zebra, blue wildebeest, impala, warthog, and blesbok.

My question is this: what factory offerings would you choose in 308 or 30-06 ammo for this kind of hunt? We plan to use their rifles vs carrying our own, and they have those two chamberings available (plus 375 H&H). I'm thinking a Barnes bullet in the 165 gr range should be fine in the 308, as well as a 165-180ish for the -06. What say you?

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not exactly an answer, but if using their guns, use their ammo too. Whatever they recommend is probably a proven performer.
Understand that, and do need to ask them that question as well, but they told me to bring ammo as its hard to get over there apparently...just looking for opinions, especially if anyone has hunted there

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I kind of feel like I've never heard 308 or 30/06 mentioned as African PG calibers personally. But if the PH is saying it's doable then I suppose that's fine and I'd hope they do have ammo available. I've never done it, but from what I hear taking a rifle out of the country is a real pain on paperwork, and ammo is the same. I don't know if taking ammo out without a matching rifle would be more or less difficult to be honest. Each country has different levels of PITA on these topics, so definitely coordinate with the PH to be covered.

YetiSam

spaghetti pistols
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used Barnes bullets (7mm08) on a plains game hunt in Namibia a couple years ago. Performance was fantastic taking Oryx, Warthog, Mountain Zebra, Springbok, Impala, Red Hartebeest, and a wildebeest. I basically skirted the energy requirements line for medium game in Namibia, but had no issues. My PH at one point commented that my rifle seemed quite powerful, which made me giggle, cause my buddy was shooting 300WM.

Zebra the only animal on my list I didn't get pass through. Including a couple ~300m shots on the Oryx and the red hartebeest.

YetiSam

spaghetti pistols
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I kind of feel like I've never heard 308 or 30/06 mentioned as African PG calibers personally. But if the PH is saying it's doable then I suppose that's fine and I'd hope they do have ammo available. I've never done it, but from what I hear taking a rifle out of the country is a real pain on paperwork, and ammo is the same. I don't know if taking ammo out without a matching rifle would be more or less difficult to be honest. Each country has different levels of PITA on these topics, so definitely coordinate with the PH to be covered.
It wasn't terrible. You have to get a customs form done at one of their offices (I used the one in Tulsa by the airport). I also took a suppressor. Might make a difference where your destination is. We were also limited by how many rounds we could bring, but I can't remember if that's because our flight went through Germany or not. Germans can be a pain in the butt.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wasn't terrible. You have to get a customs form done at one of their offices (I used the one in Tulsa by the airport). I also took a suppressor. Might make a difference where your destination is. We were also limited by how many rounds we could bring, but I can't remember if that's because our flight went through Germany or not. Germans can be a pain in the butt.
Interesting --- I'm actually real curious on the suppressor side of things now that you mention it --- was that anything special because it seems like that'd just add layers of complication? I assume that also means you took your complete kit?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
None of those animals you mentioned are difficult to kill, none require anything close to a .375 H&H unless you just want to use it. Anything factory with a Barnes or Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame or Federal Trophy Bond will do. I know someone who's gone with a 30-06 and Remington cor-lokts before with zero issues lol.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, disclaimer first: the only factory ammo I've shot much in years is rimfire and shotgun ammo. That being said, my wife and I will be going to Africa for the first time next year if all goes as planned. 6 species package (unless we add while there): duiker/steenbok, zebra, blue wildebeest, impala, warthog, and blesbok.

My question is this: what factory offerings would you choose in 308 or 30-06 ammo for this kind of hunt? We plan to use their rifles vs carrying our own, and they have those two chamberings available (plus 375 H&H). I'm thinking a Barnes bullet in the 165 gr range should be fine in the 308, as well as a 165-180ish for the -06. What say you?
I have never been to Africa to hunt. That said, and having looked at that font of all knowledge, Wikipedia, the Blue Wildebeest is perhaps a tad larger than American elk. My dad was fond of a 220gr. 30-06 load for elk hunting. BW males can get to 900lbs. American elk about 800lbs. Dad also handloaded, and that was long, long ago, so can't tell you if factory 220gr loads are even available. Though my search engine says there's a Remington 220gr Core-Lokt load available for the -06.

Hope you have a great trip!

Latest posts

Top Bottom