Factory Squib

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been shooting for at least 55 years and have been reloading for at least 35, I have had a few squib loads in reloads over the years. Today I was shooting with a couple of friends and one of them had a brand spanking new box of fresh Remington factory rounds, one of which was a squib, It was a hollow point and it stuck about an inch from the end of the barrel in his Officers model. It was the last round in the mag. He has quite a few left out of the box but now has no confidence in them at all and I don't blame him,

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It happens. I personally have never had a squib factory load (centerfire), but then again, I don't shoot very many either. I load my own.

I think that Remington is letting their QC go to pot in the ammo plants. I had some .22LR Target rounds that had 10 in 100 that didn't fire. This was not the cheap bulk pack stuff, this was SUPPOSED to be the good stuff.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had some Winchester white box 45 fmjs about ten years ago with the primer in backwards. Found 3 or 4 out of the 5 boxes I bought.

Never had a squib, had some not go bang, but nothing stuck in the barrel. Luckily it was the last round in the mag and he was paying attention.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I once read that Wild Bill Hickock shot all the loads in both pistols every morning and reloaded with fresh powder and caps. Probably a good Idea in the cap and ball days, I am begining to think that I would prefer to depend on carefully prepared reloads rather than factory.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had 1 squib load out of over 2500 rds of Blazer Brass
My squib happened in one of the TDSA classes. Weak load,
but the bullit did exit the barrel! Stopped, cleared the gun
And checked the barrel. All good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom