FAL Barrel Removal, HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, i found someone who can cut and thread my FAL barrel with the barrel off the receiver, but now i need to get the barrel off. I didn't see any fal receiver wrenches in the classifieds that were in the okc area. I've got everything completely off includng the gas block, now the barrel/receiver connection is holding me up. I was going to try to heat the receiver slighty then blow cold gas through the bore but i still need a wrench. I need help finding someone with the tools to do this. I'd like to do all this locally. Thanks guys.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We looked for a receiver wrench, but ultimately used a vise for the receiver. Those Imbel receivers are notoriously tough. I also recommend Kroil to loosen the sludge and crud in the threads before removing the barrel.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can easily make a wrench from wood for one time use. Or you could borrow my aluminum receiver wrench. It has lots of wear so you will have to be careful.
Don't, please don't, use a vise as the only method of holding and supporting the receiver.

Why did you take off the gas block? GB removal is completely unnecessary to thread the barrel.

Do you have a wrnch that will fit the flats of the barrel once you have the receiver clamped in the receiver wrench?

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help! I did get the barrel threaded and the gun assembled. I did not need to remove the barrel after all. What I did was remove everything but the receiver from the barrel. Then in order to fit it through my lathe I turned 0.020" off the diameter of the step behind the gas block location. The barrel then fit perfectly though the headstock of the lathe. The headstock supported the chamber and the muzzle stuck out of the chuck enough for me to do any legal length cuts. I turned the muzzle to match the original muzzle and then threaded using the die from midwayusa. I used the thread alignment tool which actually messed the thread up some because the bore was not concentric with the outside of the barrel where I indicated and profiled. I ended up with a nice thread job which indexes perfect. I chose 19" as a compromise but since I have a barrel which fits my lathe and the tap I can always go shorter. I'll attempt to post pics of this rifle.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
notice damaged threads near muzzle

IMG_0102.JPG

blued...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_u7v8VklkiQ/TudfXLb4ncI/AAAAAAAAACk/VEhtbh-LVz0/s640/IMG_0121.JPG
The non-concentric bore to OD does not show as much since i started the die with the thread alignment tool...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-loIW1ibxomM/TudfJtYx1HI/AAAAAAAAAB8/uq0dQV2NbU4/s512/IMG_0119.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-eqXTYHNCFD0/TudfQaxZuCI/AAAAAAAAACM/_eJmOOTSWuE/s640/IMG_0120.JPG

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I threaded one once by filing the barrel down to the necessary size with a large draw file, then used a die and thread alignment tool that was actually being rented to dudes all over the internet. It worked fine for a flash hider. I originally said you didn't need to remove the gas block, now I see why you did. Good Job.

Since you shortened your barrel a bit you might need to enlarge your gas port just a smidge to get the rifle to run well, but that is no big deal.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you shortened your barrel a bit you might need to enlarge your gas port just a smidge to get the rifle to run well, but that is no big deal.

I hope not. Since i went only 2" shorter maybe i'll get lucky. I'll just have to give it a try this weekend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom