Falconry coming to Woodward

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
seriously though I have noticed a drop in the hawk population in the area possibly due to rabbit and quail decline

In the North Central part of the state, we are having an increase in these critters. They have been in decline for lots of years, but we have noticed they are coming back:D Rabbits are everywhere, and at the farm, I've heard more quail whistling :bob white: than I have since a kid.(thats been a few years).

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah RT's love their snakes, much to a new Falconers chagrin, as a new Falconer your first hawk is a Redtail and you have to deal with them catching snakes early in the season when the snakes sun for warmth, a Redtail can spot a snake a mile away, literally!

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i71_Titaniumtalons_CIMG2240011.jpg
Uh, no, screw that nonsense.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From where? The lesser prairie chicken still exists in the OK Panhandle. Not in historical numbers, but they're around.

The greater prairie chickens that use to be abundant in NC Ok went on a serious decline to the point that the ODW stopped the hunting. I'm Friends with one of the Osage County game rangers. He said they are making a modest return. Not enough to start hunting, but they are coming back.:D

I love the falcons. I work for OGE. We have started falcon nests at our power plant to help control the pigeon problem. They don't get them all but, really do a good job .

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In the North Central part of the state, we are having an increase in these critters. They have been in decline for lots of years, but we have noticed they are coming back:D Rabbits are everywhere, and at the farm, I've heard more quail whistling :bob white: than I have since a kid.(thats been a few years).

this area was a quail hunters dream at one time famous people came there to hunt but the grass,cedars and skrub oaks are taking over it is over 4' tall at times and difficult to walk through. I think it is too thick for the small critters

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this area was a quail hunters dream at one time famous people came there to hunt but the grass,cedars and skrub oaks are taking over it is over 4' tall at times and difficult to walk through. I think it is too thick for the small critters

I know what you mean by the cedars. I spend lots of time keeping them in control on my places. I've started doing the prescribed burns as well as brush hogging to keep the brush down and provide open areas for the birds to find bugs. Brush hogged for about 5 hours yesterday.

Latest posts

Top Bottom