FFL Shipping/Transfer fees question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you own them, can't you ship them to yourself and forgo the FFL? In the same manner if a gun had been sent off to repair, you own it.... so it can be shipped directly to you.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61721/download

A customer of ours recently had Remington send him a replacement rifle--it had to come thru our shop. I think what others have said is correct--individuals can ship via FedEx or UPS to an FFL, but only FFL holders can mail guns thru USPS.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got ya. So, what's the average cost to ship one? I know there's no hard answer, but I'm trying to figure out which way to go. It may be cheaper to just fly down and get it than to ship both guns after FFL fees and shipping to AK, but I want to get a ball park figure before doing a lot of calling around.
Shipping to Alaska is the unknown here. Mailing a derringer in for repair from OK to Utah cost us something like $9.00. I believe the cost is based solely on package weight and distance mailed. USPS does not place a surcharge on mailed guns as far as I know.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A customer of ours recently had Remington send him a replacement rifle--it had to come thru our shop. I think what others have said is correct--individuals can ship via FedEx or UPS to an FFL, but only FFL holders can mail guns thru USPS.

That's different, a replacement rifle a new firearm that's never been transferred to you. If you own a gun, send it off to repair, it can be mailed directly back to you. Per the ATF in the link I posted, they say you can mail guns to yourself if you are the owner. So I'm just curious if that would apply here.

And yes, what others have said about FedEx and UPS's rules is correct. You CAN ship long guns through USPS, just not handguns.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you own them, can't you ship them to yourself and forgo the FFL? In the same manner if a gun had been sent off to repair, you own it.... so it can be shipped directly to you.
According to the ATF's website, yes I can. The problem lies in the shippers in the Seattle area. My intention was to carry across the lower 48, ship the guns to me from Seattle to AK, go through Canada and receive my guns when I got to AK. UPS and FedEx all had local rules preventing it and I didn't have time to fight it since I was up against a deadline. Damn hippies.

Shipping to AK seems to be a little higher for light, small packages. You lose your shirt with large, long and heavy items. Everything either comes in by air or by boat, so that makes 2nd day expensive as well. I may just fly down to WA and pick them up instead of having my little brother deal with running them to an FFL, paying fees and shipping and spending time coordinating. Flights aren't all that expensive to and from.

Latest posts

Top Bottom