Finally got an AR together, questions on lubing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrews10

New to the site!
Reaction score
Finally got off my arse and got an AR built from a PSA lower and parts kit, I picked up a Huldra mid length upper on sale from Fleet Farm to give a try (piston upper). Everything went together very well. Now I am wondering where to lube these things, everyone says run them wet, what are they getting at just the bolt area? Heading to town now, I just realized I don't have any ammo loaded for the 223 and my reloading room is currently also the spare storage room (nightmare) so I have to stoop to buying a couple boxes of shells. Next I am going to start checking out sights/scopes.

I was surprised how easy it is to assemble the lower, next build I am going to build the upper as well, thinking I'll build a varmint gun.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are several threads on this but my phone won't let me post.
The consensus was mobile 1 for everything.
If you look at the temps of an internal combustion engine, vs what an AR temps will run, the decision is pretty easy.

I've converted all of the engines that are used in the winter to mobile 1

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lubes:

Grease - ANS Precision High Content Moly, WeaponShield, Mobil 1 XHP222 Special.......Valvoline 632 HTWBGrease, Wilson Combat products?

Oils - ANS Precision Lube, Weaponshield, Fireclean, Machine Gunners Lube, Wilson Combats line of products?, Ams Oil Synthetic,

can always watch vids on Wilson Combat.....or some of the other product manuf........to get the idea. Launch a few rounds down range and take a look at the BCG adn inside of the upper, it will tell you what and where.

Also, there have been a few comparisons done as well, environmental tests, one good one on this forum if I remember right..........just Google Ninja oil tests or gun oil comparisons etc.....

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several threads on this but my phone won't let me post.
The consensus was mobile 1 for everything.
If you look at the temps of an internal combustion engine, vs what an AR temps will run, the decision is pretty easy.

I've converted all of the engines that are used in the winter to mobile 1

off topic but i wouldnt run mobile 1 or any synthetic oil in older engines with a flat tapped cam...say mid 90's or older. I learned this the hard way :cry3:

and twoguns? said it all in his post...for just about every tool with moving parts.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
rendered fat from a chubby baby seal works well.

th

Latest posts

Top Bottom