Finally scored a Finned 91/30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been searching for a Tikka 91/30 or a Finned Russian 91/30 for awhile now. Decided to hit up the Claude Hall show last weekend and actually ran across two Finn captures and the one in the photo below followed me home.

It's a 1937 Izhevsk (round receiver) that has had the barrel shank scrubbed. It is sitting in a Finn two piece stock. The rear section is actually off of a Russian M91 with a German "Deutsches Reich" property mark. The rifle that the stock came off of would have been captured by the Germans during WWI and sold to the Finns. You can't see it in the photo but the front Finn escutcheons are blued while the rear Russian escutcheons are still in the white. The rifle has a mix of Remington, Izhevsk, and Tula M91 and 91/30 parts. Unfortunately it has been counterbored, but I was able to pick it up for not much more than a run of the mill refurbed round receiver. It also came with a set of original Finn pigskin dog collars and part of the arsenal hang tag (not in the photo below).

Here's a pic...

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's quite the interesting polyglot you have there :wink2: Have you looked at the tang on the receiver's underside to see which arsenal produced the M91 portion?

ETA: Never mind, I saw where you said it was Tula. Will this rifle see any range time?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's quite the interesting polyglot you have there :wink2: Have you looked at the tang on the receiver's underside to see which arsenal produced the M91 portion?

ETA: Never mind, I saw where you said it was Tula. Will this rifle see any range time?

If you meant an impression in the tang area of the M91 portion of the stock, it has a shim installed and I didn't remove it to see if anything was underneath. It has an M91 Izhevsk buttplate, but that could have been replaced as well. If I remember correctly the only Tula parts are the triggerguard and one of the band springs. I believe that the other band spring is off of a dragoon Ivhevsk and the bolt is a mix of Izhevsk and Remington M91 parts. I was hoping to find a 91/30 capture with a Finn blade front sight and sling swivels. If I can find a set of swivels I may ditch the dog collars and install a spare SA marked sling that I have.

The tang on the receiver is dated 1937 Izhevsk. The Finns scrubbed everything on the barrel with the exception of the Izhevsk triangle near the receiver. The machining and finish on the receiver and barrel looks uniform so I'm assuming that the barrel is original. As soon as Banner Road is open again I'll take her out and see how she shoots.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom