financial collapse and Fed solutions.... hello Cypress

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
think it can't happen here? Think again. Now is not the time to keep large sums of cash in a bank. I'm just sayin.

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-ne...ze-your-money-to-recapitalize-itself_08272014

http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/speech/fischer20140811a.htm
(if you don't want to read the whole agonizing thing the paragraph in question is located under the post crisis regulatory & Supervisory environment paragraph 2nd paragraph after the list of numbers.)

"Additional steps have been taken in some countries. For example, in the United States, capital ratios and liquidity buffers at the largest banks are up considerably, and their reliance on short-term wholesale funding has declined considerably. Work on the use of the resolution mechanisms set out in the Dodd-Frank Act, based on the principle of a single point of entry--though less advanced than the work on capital and liquidity ratios--holds the promise of making it possible to resolve banks in difficulty at no direct cost to the taxpayer. As part of this approach, the United States is preparing a proposal to require systemically important banks to issue bail-inable long-term debt that will enable insolvent banks to recapitalize themselves in resolution without calling on government funding--this cushion is known as a "gone concern" buffer."

In case you just want me to translate that, it means instead of the govt bailing out the banks and the tax payer being on the hook for it somewhere down the line, they will just have the banks TAKE your money and give you a bond promise to pay back note or the like. Scenario: you have 300k in the bank and wake up to find 1/2 or more of your cash has been funneled into a bond that your broke ass bank promises to pay back but your **** out of luck on using your own money.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've spent most of my life trying not to accumulate much cash. :rollingla But for about 10 years now I've also tried not to leave too much sitting in somebody else's vault. :nono1:

I've just seen too many instances where it became hard to get ahold of. :grumble: :bah:

If only we could see into the future to find out what really will be the most valuable thing in case of disaster. You can say anything you want but the truth is it's only valuable if enough people want it. In a SHTF scenario I'm not going to trade needed goods for paper money, silver, gold, or any of the other currently desirable elements.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. :hey3:

ETA a slightly related post: http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/hot-...money-if-your-bank-gets-hacked-150739974.html

Last edited:

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of why I invested in lead. Probably the only thing I could see having value to me in a SHTF scenario. But everyone is different...

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to have a little copper and brass with the lead. Diversify, you don't want to have all your eggs in one basket. Good cold blued steel isn't bad either.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom