Finishing an 80% Lower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm looking at an 80% and it has laser engraving on it, you can buy it raw or anodized.

The pic they have, it looks like they anodized then laser engraved as the engraved parts are raw.

If I were to buy a raw one that has the engraving already, would the anodizing FILL the engraving to where you cant see the engraving any more?

Seems like a lower thats already anodized would get messed up when you finish milling the stuff out, and you'd end up with a scuffed up lower.
I'm awaiting a return cal from the company to see how deep the engraving is. That may be a deal breaker for me.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If the engraving is deep enough to qualify for ATF records then it will not fill (even with something like Cerakote). Also, anodizing is a surface treatment that adds a negligible amount to the surface.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If You have the jig that clamps the lower it will not scuff it at all.
I got more scuffs on mine trying to install the mag release pin.
Anodized will not fill anything it is very microscopic thin.
Powder coat is not very thick either.. b7ut it is thick enough to not allow pins to enter that are snug already. Anodized does not do that.
If you try the home anodizing on a 70 series aluminum it does not get very deep and black will actually be that gold AN fitting color.

60 series aluminum works better for that battery charger battery acid anodizing.

I think my last 80% were 30 or 33 bucks. Raw.
Buddy powdercoated one and I anodized the other.
Both work perfectly.

I have a makers mark that is very small on the lower.. looks like a padlock about 1/2 the diameter of a pencil eraser that is all the marks on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom