fire damaged guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delmato

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently bought several fire damaged guns. I have been told that if the springs still have tension they should be ok. They were in a gun safe but still the plastic melted and they flash rusted. Several thousand dollars worth of guns when new. I would appreciate some opinions.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have doubt about the function or concerned about safety if you decide to shoot them, take them to a competent gunsmith and have them checked out.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would shoot them with a string on the trigger behind a brick wall. if you can shoot several rounds through them without incident I'd say they are usable. Thats just me. I don't think you could ever sell them without full disclosure (morally) and if I were a buyer I'd walk away. Again, that's just me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If only the plastic melted, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Most metals anneal in the 450-550 degree range depending on the alloy. Plastic at much less. Flash rust is probably from heat, and steam from the firehoses.
If the wood is scorched or burned, that is when I'd be concerned.
I'd shoot them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a way to see if receiver/chamber/bolt got partially annealed?
No? I would stay away.
It would be hard to tell if they were annealed unless it were a polished natural surface. Most steels that are polished, then annealed will take on a smoky brown patina. It will look similar to case necks on rifle brass that has been annealed. The level of the brown patina will determine how soft the metal is. Darker is softer. Its an old time technique that has been around for a hundred years or so. Those experienced in looking at the same alloy and level of patina will be within a point or two of a rockwell hardness tester.
Blued surfaces would be difficult to tell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom