Firewood Supply Norman/Moore/OKC/Yukon area!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call Sherry's Firewood at 405-420-2517. Got a nice rick of pecan delivered from them this afternoon. Tell her you got her information from OSA.

OAK $75.00 RICK.
HICKORY $100 RICK.
PECAN $100 RICK
MIXED $90 RICK.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
wow, I may need to go up a little..I just sold 9 really tight rick of split pecan (seasoned) for 60 dollars a rick..but that was not delivered..

Dang! I have been looking hard for some firewood...got any more of that left?

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sold(and gave away) all the extra on hand but I plan on cutting a few more rick around Christmas. All the pecan trees being cut were taken down around March of this year but of course what I cut the next few weeks won't have the split curing time as the first..I'll just post a picture of the wood when I get it cut and ricked..Hopefully this next weekend I'll get a few more cut and ricked..

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why is a rick a common term when buying firewood in OK or Midwest? I'm in Cali and only heard the term cord. See,s like most people I know that live in OK will buy several/four/six ricks and go through it in a season. Why not just buy one or two cords a season and be dome with it? Stupid question, I know, but just trying to understand.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow, I may need to go up a little..I just sold 9 really tight rick of split pecan (seasoned) for 60 dollars a rick..but that was not delivered..

No joke. I would've considered borrowing a buddy's F-250 and gooseneck and coming up there for that.

I've gotten tired of chasing truly seasoned wood in the local classifieds. The last two years, what I kept finding from the "seasoned" listings was freshly cut and split - even had one that was actually *wet*. This year, I've decided that if I can't gather it for whatever reason, then I'll pay the premium for wood that I know 100% is seasoned. Plus, it's stacked and wrapped on a pallet, so it just takes a forklift to get it in the truck. Nothing like putting a nice, big, quarter of oak in the stove and not seeing a single puff of steam before it starts blazing and keeping the trailer at 75F for the next 90 minutes to two hours (stove door open vs closed)...

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea I know what you mean Veggie. I will tell everyone when the wood was cut and when it was ricked. I've been selling a few rick a year for around 30 years and have yet to have anyone complain. I try to rick it tight with the bark side up and also make the rick at least 6 inches higher than 4 feet. I would rather give them extra than cheat anyone..
Parks, at one time I believe there was a law or a law was introduced in Oklahoma to prevent selling wood by the rick simply because there was no real size for a rick. Some people will say 2 rick per cord and some will say 3 rick per cord. It all depends on if the wood is 2 foot long or 16 inches long. OSU has a good definition for a rick of wood in one of their fact sheets. It says a rick is tightly stacked and is 4 foot high, 8 foot long and the width is the length of the longest piece of wood. I try to make mine around 16 to 18 inches long since that is what my stove takes.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah. When I googled rick AFTER i asked the question I read that some people will unknowling want to buy a half cord and figure on buying a rick. Well, it said that if you buy a half rick and they are 12-16" logs then you are actually paying for a half cord but really only getting about a 1/3 cord of actual wood.

You guys have it good in OK. Out here in Cali if you want to get a good hot burning wood to burn it will most likely be Eucalyptus and you will pay upwards of $400 per cord. What a ripoff. Luckily, I am in construction and visit plenty of jobsites that have cut big Eucalyptus or pine type trees and I get to load up all the wood I want for free. Still have to split it but it's free.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess we really do have it good when it comes to firewood. I sell a friend of mine around 5 rick a year and he hauls it to Buffalo, Oklahoma..Seems like a long haul to me but he just plans the trip with a visit anyway and so it's not that big of a deal..he seems to like it anyway..

Latest posts

Top Bottom