First Day of Deer (rifle) season....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I am pretty pumped too! Got some nice pics of some bucks from a few weeks ago...just hoping they aren't shy!

Where I am hunting...the wildlife department is reporting the slowest area to begin rutting. With the wind out of the south, I am having to use a different stand as well. We'll see.... about 10 hours and I'll be headed to the stand!

Can't wait!

Good luck everyone!

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out this evening at Lake Creek on edge of a shelter belt by an alfalfa field and saw several bucks 600 or 700 yards to my NW on the edge of another tree line. Watched a big one with the binocs for a time and he was at least a 10 and stood head above the other. As I was starting to walk back to the house seven doe came to the alfalfa field about 150 yards from me and paid no attention to me as I walked away. Four of the does were nice and big. Hope they return in the AM

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out this evening at Lake Creek on edge of a shelter belt by an alfalfa field and saw several bucks 600 or 700 yards to my NW on the edge of another tree line. Watched a big one with the binocs for a time and he was at least a 10 and stood head above the other. As I was starting to walk back to the house seven doe came to the alfalfa field about 150 yards from me and paid no attention to me as I walked away. Four of the does were nice and big. Hope they return in the AM

I have a little doe group Im hoping to see tomorrow too. Really worried though, from observation, the ones on the property Im hunting seem to bed down when its windy. Im hopin they are too hungry to do that tomorrow.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy and I sighted in our rifles this afternoon, and drove to his hunting areas to do a little glassing. Man, he has some quality bucks.

Looked more like pheasant area to me, but the bucks had the does cut out in there.
We saw four wall hangers in 3 square miles, most of which is planted wheat fields, not deer habitat.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went out to the range with my sons today to get some last-minute trigger-time in.

I've got one big buck that I'd really like to get, but I just primarily want both of them to get their first deer this year (we should have gotten out last year, but I just didn't have the motivation).

This year, I'm genuinely excited about deer-gun season, so naturally, they are too.

Going out to the farm tonight to spend the night and waking up early and going out to our first spot with one of the boys. After the morning shift, my father-in-law is coming out and we're going to split up (one boy with each of us) and we're staying out all day (in one of a few spots) and coming back to the farm house to spend time (and eat) with the family.

We might be starting a new tradition :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom