Fishing in OKC area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gchad04racer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm new around here, I'm stationed on Tinker and was wondering where there are good bass fishing spots close by where I can fish from the bank? I've heard there are nice bass in Thompson lake off of E. Reno Ave but have had no luck. Anybody fish there for bass? If so what do you catch them on? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Oklahoma River.

Since you are new you might actually try the "Oklahoma River," but if there is a fishable population of bass there this is the first I have heard of it. They sometimes drain the river for one purpose or another, though a couple of years ago one of the river managers said they were planning to stock it.

About what to use where there are bass, plastic worms rigged Texas style are a real mainstay. Dark worms for stained water and lighter colors for clear water.

I don't know what kind of tackle you use, but a fairly stiff rod and either a bait cast reel or an open face spinning reel with fairly stout line (I usually use 17 pound test mono) will do a good job.

Spinnerbaits and buzzbaits are sometimes good. If you have fly fishing stuff consider a popping bug early in the morning. A two pound bass on fly rod is a riot.

I have done pretty well recently with floating jerk baits that have a small tassle on the aft hook. These are "poppers" with a dished front end. Toss 'em to a likely spot, let them set, pop once, let set, repeat, and sometimes you'll draw a big one. Other times something nearly as large as the lure will hit it . . .

If you can get access to any farm ponds, some of the best bass fishing in the state is to be had in these. CB

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know there are a few ponds on base that have some pretty decent sized bass in them. One is behind the Fam Camp and there are a couple just south of the housing areas and billeting. They're not huge but I know they helped me get a fix when I needed to get a little fishing in my system and you can walk around the whole thing. I haven't been there in a few years. I just moved back to the local area but when I fished them 3 years ago there were quite a few bass 1-3lb in the ponds.

You can check with MWR on base to get some more info and if you want to get a little adventurous, you could rent a john boat from the base and hit one of the local lakes. I would suggest Wes Watkins as it is close to the base and one of the nicer lakes in the area. They had a big fish kill there a long time ago but I hear the bass are making a comeback. It really is a picture perfect bass lake and perfect for a small boat.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you are new you might actually try the "Oklahoma River," but if there is a fishable population of bass there this is the first I have heard of it. They sometimes drain the river for one purpose or another, though a couple of years ago one of the river managers said they were planning to stock it.

About what to use where there are bass, plastic worms rigged Texas style are a real mainstay. Dark worms for stained water and lighter colors for clear water.

I don't know what kind of tackle you use, but a fairly stiff rod and either a bait cast reel or an open face spinning reel with fairly stout line (I usually use 17 pound test mono) will do a good job.

Spinnerbaits and buzzbaits are sometimes good. If you have fly fishing stuff consider a popping bug early in the morning. A two pound bass on fly rod is a riot.

I have done pretty well recently with floating jerk baits that have a small tassle on the aft hook. These are "poppers" with a dished front end. Toss 'em to a likely spot, let them set, pop once, let set, repeat, and sometimes you'll draw a big one. Other times something nearly as large as the lure will hit it . . .

If you can get access to any farm ponds, some of the best bass fishing in the state is to be had in these. CB

You're not serious, are you because I've been fishing the Oklahoma River for over 7 years now and I've caught 8 lb Hybrid Bass, 7lb Largemouth, 10lb drum, 2 lb black crappys, 5 to 6 lb catfish and even walleys. Just depends on the part of the river you fish. Close to down town, not so much. I catch 3 to 5 lb bass almost every time I go out there, have had my wrist twisted from something that hit that hard and my 15lb fluorocarbon line snapped 3 times, so yeah, there are some good fish in the River but not very many people know that.

Some of mine over the years, didn't always have a camera with me but when I did, here you go.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

This is the spot where now is the boat dock on sw15th. That's the spot that twisted my wrist. Big bass I would assume.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Yeah, there's absolutely no big bass in the river, right.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're not serious, are you because I've been fishing the Oklahoma River for over 7 years now and I've caught 8 lb Hybrid Bass, 7lb Largemouth, 10lb drum, 2 lb black crappys, 5 to 6 lb catfish and even walleys. Just depends on the part of the river you fish. Close to down town, not so much. I catch 3 to 5 lb bass almost every time I go out there, have had my wrist twisted from something that hit that hard and my 15lb fluorocarbon line snapped 3 times, so yeah, there are some good fish in the River but not very many people know that.

Yeah, there's absolutely no big bass in the river, right.

Where do you launch? I thinkin' I'm gonna have to give that a shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom