FN .45 vs. M&P .45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing one of these.
Looking to get some feedback from shooters that have had experience with either.
Is one better than the other? Accuracy, reliability, finish, overall impression?

I am leaning towards the FN..

Thanks in advance

OP,
Since these two choices are two different types of guns, you'll likely want to determine your preference on platform first. Once you decide what platform you want, the gun type will become easy.
I'll preface my opinion with acknowledging that I haven't shot the FN. Having handled both and having shot the M&P fullsize, I prefer the M&P.

Platform: The FNP-45 is very much like a HK USP in terms of controls. It has an external hammer, DA/SA trigger, and frame mounted safety, making it capable of being carried either cocked and locked (how I would carry it) or decocked. The M&P45 is a striker fired system like a Glock with a striker, trigger bar, and trigger safety. Some models have optional frame thumb safeties.

Trigger Consistency: These attributes mean that the M&P always has a consistent trigger. The FNP also has a consistent trigger - so long as you carry it in condition 1. I personally despise DA/SA triggers and avoid them.

Aftermarket Support: If aftermarket support, such as trigger improvements, sights, etc are important to you, the M&P45 has more aftermarket support than the FNP. If you want a 1911-like trigger in your polymer 45, APEX can get close to making that desire come true with the M&P45. It is not the case with the FNP.

Reliability: Both companies produce top quality firearms. From everything I have read from those who shoot much more than the average Joe, the M&P45 line is the best of Smith and Wesson's M&P family for both accuracy and reliability.

Some good things that could be said about the FNP - it has double strike capability if you care about that. (I find that proponents of pistols with hammers find this aspect important, I don't.) It also seems like a very sturdy pistol and will likely be rugged, reliable, accurate, and good to go for a very long time. Thus, if the owner likes it, the FNP will serve its owner well.

I personally prefer the striker system of Glocks and M&Ps, I prefer pistols with aftermarket support that allow me to easily change the trigger characteristics, and I prefer the ergonomics and controls of the M&P better. Thus, I would recommend a Midsize M&P45 or M&P45c. I have sworn off .45 and only own 9mm now, but if I were still shooting .45, I would buy a Midsize M&P45 and install some APEX parts. But again, that is what I would choose with my personal preferences. You have to decide what preferences you have and then buy accordingly. There is no "best" - there is what works for YOU and what doesn't work for YOU.

Good luck on your search!

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M&P is certainly fairly accurate and comfortable. I bought one in near mint condition last week and have fired 50 rounds through it. I like it, but I don't think I'll ever like polymer guns as much as metal ones. I am going to sell my M&P45 and look for a CZ 97b or a decent 1911.

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Matt.... I've owned both.

The FNP45 is an excellent pistol, smooth DA/SA trigger, and accurate. It comes with 3 Mags which is awesome. The 15+1 Round capacity is a big deal for .45 ACP guys, this would be one heck of a kit to have if you were by yourself in a bad situation somewhere and needed to get out of it. Realistically though if your trying to get from Quiktrip to the house it isn't a must have. It is as big as Dallas, Texas. Holsters are kind of a pain to find, and it is about as ergonomic as a brick. There aren't a ton of them out there yet so we don't really know about maintenence all that much yet but all indicators are that they just chew up rounds and spit them out. Replacement parts are not really off the shelf available. We sell them for $699.99

The S&W M&P45 is also a great gun. Ergonomics are top-notch, as are reliability & design. They are well balanced and point naturally. The trigger is..... "aight", probably my least favorite thing about these guns. As with most quality .45 ACP guns these days, the accuracy is wonderful. Parts are readily available as are holsters & other accessories. The M&P45 is an excellent all around choice, and if you needed to tuck either one of these in an IWB and carry it, it would be a much better choice than the FNP45.

Your dear ol' cousin however is totin' around a full sized HK 45, and will never carry anything else. Period.

Jeff Freeman
H&H Gun Range
Oklahoma City, OK
(405) 947-3888

Liv2Dive2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a FN 45 Tactical, bought it at the factory in SC, nice gun, sold me on the 15+1. I'm not a fan of the checkering on the grip, when firing lots of rounds it starts to wear on you. Overall I've had no problems with mine, though I've only put maybe 150 rounds through it. I bought it as a novelty more than a real work gun. I've fired M&Ps, they're good guns if you want a striker fired as others have said, they're also quite a bit cheaper than the FN guns. If you're going to carry it I'd lean away from a striker fired gun...but that's just me (and I carry a glock professionally, but only because that's what I'm issued)