Folding knife lube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I took the Kershaw PackRat apart and cleaned it up because it developed a gritty feeling when I dropped it in the dirt. Well, I quickly learned that taking a pocket knife apart and cleaning up the grease and only adding CLP Break-Free isn't the same thing. So I sat out on a quest to find some good grease for my Kershaw.

I stopped by a few automotive places until I found Lucas High Performance Assembly Lube. This stuff is awesome. Its hidden back by the bearing grease in Autozone and is about $3.99 for a 40z bottle with an applicator top (screw-closed, like a bottle of glue).

Its super-sticky, the back of the bottle says:

* Perfect for engine building
* Contains Zinc, Moly and other high pressure additives for maximum protection during engine break-in.

Not that I needed high-temp, but this stuff is really slick and tacky - so it went in between the blade and bushings (and liners) very easily and this thing is slicker than snot now.

Good stuff so far. I'm going to try it out on a few of my other pocket-knives just to see. The applicator nozzle made for a very easy/clean application onto the knife in only the places I wanted it to go.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love pretty much everything that Lucas makes. They keep my vehicles running smoothly. Hell they even make a dedicated gun oil. I personally haven't tried the gun oil yet, but I I've heard and read good things about it. I never thought about using the Assembly Lube on my knives but I might have to try!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love pretty much everything that Lucas makes. They keep my vehicles running smoothly. Hell they even make a dedicated gun oil. I personally haven't tried the gun oil yet, but I I've heard and read good things about it. I never thought about using the Assembly Lube on my knives but I might have to try!

Woah - I didn't even see the gun lube. As good as this stuff works, I might have to give that stuff a try.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Woah - I didn't even see the gun lube. As good as this stuff works, I might have to give that stuff a try.

the lucas gun oil is all I use on my ar and 1911.....slick is not the word. I really only use it on the guns that need to be run wet. Everything else gets hoppe's gun oil. how well is the assy. lube working on the knives

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to say that I'm loving this stuff. Just got in my Kershaw Rake and it was a little sluggish - played with the adjustment, but then said screw it and just took it apart and put this Lucas Assembly Lube in it. Lightning fast now and no dragging at all. The Kershaw PackRat is still slick as snot, but I will say that after a day or so, I got a little bit of run-off from inside the liner (used some up against the spring) and also some off of the pivot. Had to wipe the excess off (nothing terrible) but it still works (I would just be careful about applying it and then putting the knife into really nice clothes immediately).

ouhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the best oil for maintance for folder is Zoom Spout Oil. A extremely high quality sewing machine oil that many knife collectors use. A very little around the joints gors a long ways and a 4 oz's bottle under $3 will last you forever. I collect knives and have used it for yrs it works great plus I use it on my all my moving parts on my guns as well. Just thought I'd share that with you all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom