Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the rate we’re going rain wise, that water hole could be your golden ticket. :thumb:

If it were me, I’d put a camera on the water hole.
I might do that. Maybe if I put a camera in the creek bottom, it will incite a flooding rain that will wash it away. At this point, I’d be willing to make that sacrifice. 😁

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might do that. Maybe if I put a camera in the creek bottom, it will incite a flooding rain that will wash it away. At this point, I’d be willing to make that sacrifice. 😁
I keep a cell camera set up 25 yards from the south bank of the Salt Fork, and it hasn’t worked for me.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I had the only water hole left for about 4 square miles in 2011, everything gathered to water. Quail, pheasant, coyotes, bobcats, deer, opossums, coons........and some times most of them were there all at the same time. My daughter killed her first MZL buck of that 10' circle of water.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pond on our place is small - 3/4 acre max. But, it's spring fed(see 2nd pic) and hasn't gone dry in the 3+ years we've owned it. Decent size crappie and bass. Have a couple ladder stands in the vicinity. Need to move a camera and see.
pond2.jpg
pond1.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deer have the ability to get a lot of their water needs from early morning dew on the food they eat and their diet. Woody browse is 45% water that they can absorb. It's not the optimal situation for them, but they can survive.
The does need water access to get enough to feed fawns when nursing.
All that being said, when we had the big drought for a couple of years, we found fawn skulls everywhere and set out watering stations as the creek was dry that ran through the area.
We keep a bird bath and a pan under it full for the little fawns that can't reach the bird bath to drink from.
The danged turkey want to hook the little pan with their feet and tip it over before getting on top of the bird bath to get a drink.
The bath holds about three gallons and needs new water every other day, so that is my job currently.
When we are on the road, they still survive no matter what my wife thinks getting their water naturally.
Deer live in the deserts with little to no pools of water. What does that tell you about how they get water?

Latest posts

Top Bottom