For you (pre) history buffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you know what the most popular misconception is? The #1 thing that I hear, almost daily. it's about how stone arrowheads are made. I don't know how it started, but you wouldn't believe the amount of people who still believe that arrowheads are made by heating up stone and dripping water on them. Some of the variants of those stories really reach out there, saying that the water is dripped on the stone with an eagle's feather, etc.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'm corrected on the Bird Points. As you well know, most points knapped will fracture, and result in two bird points! Thats where mine came from. LOL!

We were moving rock from the river to our range as a road bed last year, and one of the guys found a perfect club head. Don't have a pic, but he did like me and took his find to the Ok hunting and fishing show.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know what the most popular misconception is? The #1 thing that I hear, almost daily. it's about how stone arrowheads are made. I don't know how it started, but you wouldn't believe the amount of people who still believe that arrowheads are made by heating up stone and dripping water on them. Some of the variants of those stories really reach out there, saying that the water is dripped on the stone with an eagle's feather, etc.

Haven't heard that one yet, but I'm sure an expert has heard all of the stories.

The point I found in the pic that I thought was a Dalton is like lots of points found in rivers. They don't show the sharp edges of a recent knapping.
Story I have is that the constant freezing and thawing in the river beds makes the edges smooth, as well as the tumbling through the sand in the river.

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of my best finds come from up that way, Dennis. There actually will be an artifact show in Ponca later this year (I think August?). A friend of mine will be putting it on, so I may have to attend.

Speaking of good finds out-of-the-blue. There was a lady who called me several months ago about a "pretty red Indian rock" that she found in her garden in NE Arkansas. She sent me images of it and my jaw dropped. She found a completely perfect ferruginous quartz bannerstone. Estimated value of that particular piece would be around $40,000. Some people have all of the luck!

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
What can some of these finds be worth to collectors or the public?

It all depends on the find (see previous post).

The "townsend" blade out of Spiro Mounds, OK, sold for $127,000.00..and that was several years ago. Granted, that's a very special piece though. Your average arrowhead is probably worth no more than a dollar or two, but some easily range into the thousands.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's pretty awesome that we (you) have the resources and technology to determine how to date these artifacts. It's hard for me to even fathom how long ago that is.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a VERY good question and one that I get asked a lot. You cannot carbon date stone. What you can date is what it's associated with (bones, charcoal, etc).
Absolutly correct.
Some of the counterfitters use copper tools, and the Native Tribes from the North brought copper nuggets with them to trade for the flint/chert, and used copper to knap points.
I use copper tools to knap, so I have to assume the carbon dating can see modern copper vs older copper?

Latest posts

Top Bottom