Found one more! What is it? Are these hard to get sharp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Educate me?

8FF274FF-260A-4A4B-BCDF-EFCA6534D2EB.jpeg
7CFD1244-6657-4A5C-A359-25DF54123A2A.jpeg
84E8E40F-0B2D-49D0-A484-37C0ED751E89.jpeg
6B32308F-5311-43CD-A9B8-BC1B4BF8582E.jpeg

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe I have one of those that hasn’t been bastardized. If I recall right it’s some type of Mauser bayonet. I don’t believe it’s a K98 but one of the offshoots. I’ve never sharpened mine. It’s still covered in Cosmalean with the metal sheath.

I just did a quick Google and it very well could be a K98 Bayonet. Somebody has definitely taken a bit of meat off of that one

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So it has been sharpened a lot huh? My wife helped me remember that she bought it at a Garage Sale back when we were Newlyweds, 42 years ago! I have not seen in it in many years. It was down at the bottom of one of the safes behind ammo cans. I thought it looked different than those posted on here.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
What does “bastardized’ mean? Something missing or cut off this one?
Usually sharpened. They aren't supposed to be sharpened so even a czech mauser bayonet worth $40 gets turned into an ugly $10 piece of pointy steel garbage. Sometimes bubba will remove the handles and take the grinder to it to put on a fancy handle/grip to church it up but it usually still turns out looking like crap.

For that particular bayonet, it's Polish (according to my little chart) that's been "improved". It's been shortened and an "edge" ground on it and the locking mechanism removed.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Usually sharpened. They aren't supposed to be sharpened so even a czech mauser bayonet worth $40 gets turned into an ugly $10 piece of pointy steel garbage. Sometimes bubba will remove the handles and take the grinder to it to put on a fancy handle/grip to church it up but it usually still turns out looking like crap.

For that particular bayonet, it's Polish (according to my little chart) that's been "improved". It's been shortened and an "edge" ground on it and the locking mechanism removed.

Ahhh gotcha! Thanks!

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What does “bastardized’ mean? Something missing or cut off this one?
I wasn’t trying to be a smart arse if it came across that way. I called it bastardized because it doesn’t look right. It is quiet a bit shorter than it’s supposed to be and it looks like the edge has been sharpened a bit. The arch on the edge towards the back is what I’m looking at. Also like the other guy said The back of the bayonet is missing the locking button and the mechanism for locking onto the bayonet lug. So by bastardized, it’s seen better days. I apologize if it came across rude.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn’t trying to be a smart arse if it came across that way. I called it bastardized because it doesn’t look right. It is quiet a bit shorter than it’s supposed to be and it looks like the edge has been sharpened a bit. The arch on the edge towards the back is what I’m looking at. Also like the other guy said The back of the bayonet is missing the locking button and the mechanism for locking onto the bayonet lug. So by bastardized, it’s seen better days. I apologize if it came across rude.

Oh none taken! I know nothing of old knives and such. I seen some of ya’lls on here and knew I used to have a old knife that went on a rifle. Just did not know what it was when I found it! Been having fun going through and cleaning out some gun vaults to thin down as I get older!

Also I have the skin of a Rhino! LOL!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom