Found the perfect .22LR snap cap substitute.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#4 plastic wall anchors. About 10¢ each at Lowe's, as opposed to about 35¢ for the real snap caps.

They actually load into the magazine, cycle through my Chiappa 1911-22, and protect the firing pin for dry firing.

Just a penny saving FYI.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha, I honestly can't take credit for it. I saw it on a forum a while back (not sure how that guy discovered it...), but that was way before I actually had a .22 and I finally got around to picking some up.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
#4 plastic wall anchors. About 10¢ each at Lowe's, as opposed to about 35¢ for the real snap caps.

They actually load into the magazine, cycle through my Chiappa 1911-22, and protect the firing pin for dry firing.

Just a penny saving FYI.

How is the Chiappa 1911-22? Is it ammo picky? I'd like to have something like that that would shoot the walmart federal bulk packs without any problems.
I've liked the looks of them in internet pics, but never seen one. Did you buy it locally?

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is the Chiappa 1911-22? Is it ammo picky? I'd like to have something like that that would shoot the walmart federal bulk packs without any problems.
I've liked the looks of them in internet pics, but never seen one. Did you buy it locally?

I haven't had much time lately so I've put about 100 rounds through it so far, and there were plenty of failures to eject in there, but it only had the factory lube at the time. And the failures were with both Remington Yellow Jacket and CCI Minimags. Those aberrations aside the gun is fun as hell.

I gave it a deep cleaning and lube after that shoot, so hopefully next time I get it out it'll be more reliable.

If you're looking for a 1911-style .22 you might wait for the GSG 1911 .22 to come out. The Chiappa is great for the money, but I think the GSG (which will be about $50 more last I heard) might be a better value. The GSG has been "about to come out" for about three years now.

I picked up the Chiappa from Sooner Guns for $279.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_springstuff5_Version2.jpg

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_springstuff8_Version2.jpg

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_springstuff9_Version2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom