Fox Calling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see a lot of posts about coyotes/cats, but I was wondering if any of you have much luck calling in fox? I have trapped a good many grey fox when I was living in Louisiana, and would imagine they should come to about the same kinda calls as a bobcat, but have no experience with red fox. Any info would be greatly appreciated in the way of calling sounds, location,etc. Thanks

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can find some, they come well to gray fox pup distress sounds. I have only called in a couple over the years and hardly ever see them out here in the west. My brother has trapped some over by Muskogee. I think I could trap some if I could find a discrete place inside the city limits here. Good luck and take pics if you shoot one.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trapper, Grey fox are probably the easiest animal to call. They will more often than not respond in pairs so if you get one keep calling. I usually call them out of the same places I would a bobcat. Thick creek bottoms, cedar thickets, large rock and boulder outcroppings and old grown up home places are good areas to call.They will often respond very quick so be ready when you start calling.
I have only called a few red fox in, mostly I believe because there just are not that many. The ones I have called in responded more like coyotes, they leave at the first sign something is wrong.
Hope this helped you.

Scott

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks again Scott, sounds like you're the voice of experience. I'm really going to try to link up with you pretty soon, do some hunting and learning at the same time.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trapper, Grey fox are probably the easiest animal to call. They will more often than not respond in pairs so if you get one keep calling. I usually call them out of the same places I would a bobcat. Thick creek bottoms, cedar thickets, large rock and boulder outcroppings and old grown up home places are good areas to call.They will often respond very quick so be ready when you start calling.
I have only called a few red fox in, mostly I believe because there just are not that many. The ones I have called in responded more like coyotes, they leave at the first sign something is wrong.
Hope this helped you.

Scott

Hey Scott, Do you find that you call some from the same places every year? I just wondered. The only ones I have ever called out here, a pair by the way, were with a buddy and a couple years later he called up another pair in the same place. Didn't know if that was a fluke or if common.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
imhntn I have called fox in the same area year after year. It is fairly common to call fox out of the same places. There are some cedar thickets near lake Tenkiller that we have called fox out of for 15 years. I have hunted all over the state and there are lots of places that just don't have many fox around. That is what I enjoy about calling, you never know what's going to show up.

Scott

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
imhntn I have called fox in the same area year after year. It is fairly common to call fox out of the same places. There are some cedar thickets near lake Tenkiller that we have called fox out of for 15 years. I have hunted all over the state and there are lots of places that just don't have many fox around. That is what I enjoy about calling, you never know what's going to show up.

Scott

It's a small world. One of my calling partners here has only called in and killed one and it was on Lake Tenkiller. Must be a good area for fox.

Latest posts

Top Bottom