Frog Gigging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's some my buddies kids got the other day. They used a 22.
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_08_04_2827c595eb61d2aea013f1ed08d34f2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man those look great! I love to eat frog legs... Send us an after pic

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow guys! Thanks for all the replies. I haven't gotten a chance to go out looking for them yet. It was actually the heavy rain this year that sort of inspired me. I figured it would really expand their habitat, and make it easier to hunt them.

I remember what they sound like at night from camping trips as a kid. Sadly, I haven't heard that sound in many years, even in the places I used to.

Bowhunter, those look amazing! I usually only see them deep fried, so those look damn good.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid we used to go to this pond with a high bank that had a lot of frogs. We would take about a one inch square piece of red shop rag on put in on a treble hook that was on a long cane pole. We would crawl up the back side of the pond dam and start look along the shore for frog eyes in the water with a bright flashlight. When we would spot one we would lower that hook with the red rag on it down in front of the frogs and they would jump out of the water to get that red rag.... every time. When a friend of mine was originally telling me about this method I thought he was yanking my chain, but it seriously does work! We would normally get 8 or 10 in less than an hour.

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree with Viking. We have not had bull frogs around here for years. I too used to stand out on my front porch any summer night and listen to the bellow all over the country. Haven't heard one in years. At one of the quail meetings that the game dept. put on I asked the biologist if the frogs had gone the same way as the quail. He gave me a funny look and said you know I've wondered the same thing.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe 25 years ago, some folks from Frederick got some frogs out of a fairly low, nasty pond. Whole family, including the cook, got some godawful disease and damn near died. I would use rubber gloves if I were going to do it now.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always volunteered to check the water pump at night when I worked in the oilfield.

After we had pumped the ponds down aways the frogs were easy pickings.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There used to be big bull frogs in every farm pond around. I am blaming the herons on the lack of frogs. They are everywhere hunting the edges. I have not seen enough frogs to eat a mess in many years.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Some of the places that I farm on are just a few miles from Salt Plains. The numbers of cattle egrets and herons that fly over at dusk headed back to the lake are incredible. Cattle egrets have been following me around this last week while swathing hay, and if it's alive, they'll eat it. From grasshoppers to sand toads, large rats and small cottontails..............so I assume bullfrogs would be no different. Most ponds and creeks were dry here for a couple of years or longer. As they were drying, and getting really low, herons and egrets lined the banks, and the pickings were easy.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Huckleberry 75 told me of one of his friends in Mississippi who has several thousand acres that has numerous sloughs along the roads that are full of bullfrogs and cotton mouths. Best night was 17 cottonmouths. He popped them with a .17 and watched their heads explode. The frog hunting was equally good.

Mississippi has a 6 turkey spring season. We may have to check this out next Spring and report.

Latest posts

Top Bottom