Ft. Sill Deer Survey Results.....looks like a bad year ahead of us

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You dont have to look too far back to recall 2 State records coming from Push Co.

The 200# buck may be mythical in SE Ok, but if my memory serves me right the largest # of B&C bucks in Ok, have come from that area.

Good points! Still I cannot find the weights of those deer, only points and scores.

Deer hunters can have different goals, mine are meat first, pictures second. Of course if I happen to knock down big horny, you can bet I will be cheesing it up for the camera.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I'm a dumbbutt then. :laugh6: Wasn't it 3 just last year?

Actually, sorry; come to think of it, I think I may have known that - outstanding then - love it! :) :eek:

So the rule now is "Hunter's Choice" - any two bucks however you like? (2 archery, 2 ML, 2 gun, 1 archery/1 ML, 1 archery/1 gun, 1ML/1 gun, etc.)?

Thanks and sorry - my memory is crap anymore. I did pick up the hardcopy of the regs today - I just don't look at the online one in detail like I'd planned to (to save mother earth and all that).

NO! It is not hunter's choice as you have described. You can take 2 with archery, but only 1 with a rifle and 1 with muzzleloader, not to exceed the season limit of two antlered deer total.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 200# buck may be mythical in SE Ok, but if my memory serves me right the largest # of B&C bucks in Ok, have come from that area.

Good points! Still I cannot find the weights of those deer, only points and scores.

Deer hunters can have different goals, mine are meat first, pictures second. Of course if I happen to knock down big horny, you can bet I will be cheesing it up for the camera.

This may be one of the ones you are talking about... not the current record, but was for a few days. Only 160#, dressed, I would imagine.

A 17-point whitetail taken in November, 2007 by deer hunter Jason Boyett from Glenpool is the number one typical deer in the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation’s Cy Curtis Program Record Book.

The buck, which was harvested during the regular deer gun season, scored 191 and 4/8 Boone and Crockett (B&C) points and weighed 160 pounds. The buck grossed 210 4/8 B&C points but had almost 27 points of deductions because the antlers were not symmetrical. The deer was taken in southeastern Oklahoma in Pushmataha County.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its a little further north, but at Big Mac, last year, I looked at the stats of the pope and young bucks taken off the place over the last several years.
Bucks that were 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 yrs old scoring 140-160 points only weighed 135 - 145 lbs.

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just did a spotlight count for DMAP. There were plenty of fawns. I'm not done with all the surveys but I bet the total numbers and buck/doe ratio is not changed from last year. This is in Western Ok. Dewey County.

Latest posts

Top Bottom