Fuel storage question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a 300 gallon elevated diesel tank and gravity pump. Having never owned one myself I don't know how folks get the fuel. Is there a tanker that delivers it? What are the costs associated? Can you buy "off road" diesel that way?

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lot of places have 300gal minimum order for the truck to come fill it. They have a pump and all.

Before filling it make sure the gauge is in working order or sight glass is in good shape.

Also if there is a threaded bung on the bottom put a valve in to drain water off the bottom. Put a plug in the valve so if it ever leaks won't make a mess and lose your fuel.

Where you will be drawing the fuel from put another valve in before a filter setup. Don't trust the nozzle and hose to hold (I like valves lol) I like the cartridge type you can see through so can see if dirty or getting water.

The nozzle. If you don't get an auto shut off type remove the deal that keeps the trigger depressed. I learned the hard way once from walking off while filling a tractor.

For valve get decent ball valves. Look for the kind you can slip a lock in. Mainly for lock out tag out purposes but in certain events keeps honest crooks honest.

Remember off-road dyed diesel is just that off road use only like tractors and other equipment.

Anchor it down also and have some sort of strapping or something fastening the tank to the stand.

Not sure if you needed all this but someone might find it useful.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What becker-atc said plus have found alot of people will screw their hose directly into the filter and over time u will get a kink in ur hose i always put a street 90 fitting between the hose and filter so the hose is always hanging in the down position and wont kink and wear the hose out faster.

Swab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup. Algae and other foreign matter are the main things too look for. Diesel these days hardly gels so you're good there. Might keep both cetane booster and diesel 911 to be able treat the capacity of the tank

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

Latest posts

Top Bottom