Fusion spliceing Fiber optic cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my customers had 72 strands of fiber cut that I got to put back together. For those of you who haven't been around it or even see it before here is a crappy Iphone video. I though someone might think it was as neat as I do

In the video I'm placing the stripped and cleaved fiber in the machine ( the red part on the right is the fiber's "jacket" and the clear is the actual fiber, I do a better job when Im not holding a camera in one hand). after it is placed in the machine the screen shows the two ends magnified as it aligns and checks them for issues and then welds them together. Note that inside the glass there is a thinner strip of lighter glass. That is where the light actually travels. After it is done watch me take it out and note how small it is compared to my fingers. Pretty cool huh? Before it was cut this piece was over a mile long with no splices in it.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm working on a project at work right now routing and installing 100 miles of FOC around the state connecting hospitals, higher learning facilities and our various divisions and maint. yards. We're spec'ing 96 & 144 strand FOC on 5 mile rolls!

You can actually drop your fiber counts if you look into adding multiplexers into your engineering solution. With the high count fiber layouts, you also have to be prepared for high count fiber splices when your fiber gets cut. All weather splice cases for fiber counts that large can be expensive.

I used to play with some kits from Corning Fiber that contained 4 rolls of Single Mode fiber with 25K on each roll. You could link all four rolls together for a total run of 100K. And it all fit into a suitcase. It was handy for testing some very high power, long all fiber optic communications gear.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my customers had 72 strands of fiber cut that I got to put back together. For those of you who haven't been around it or even see it before here is a crappy Iphone video. I though someone might think it was as neat as I do

In the video I'm placing the stripped and cleaved fiber in the machine ( the red part on the right is the fiber's "jacket" and the clear is the actual fiber, I do a better job when Im not holding a camera in one hand). after it is placed in the machine the screen shows the two ends magnified as it aligns and checks them for issues and then welds them together. Note that inside the glass there is a thinner strip of lighter glass. That is where the light actually travels. After it is done watch me take it out and note how small it is compared to my fingers. Pretty cool huh? Before it was cut this piece was over a mile long with no splices in it.

Back in the day, I used to do design work with Fiber. We were always joking about the "fiber seeking backhoes" that people would use when they did not call to have utilities marked. Of course they were the same ones that would hit the gas lines and make the news.......

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
72 strand, I bet that was a nice bill. Was it a home owner or contractor that cust the line. I work in the tuility industry and it is amazing what people do without calling in okie tickets. We just had it out with a customer this morning. Wanted to knoow how deep our lines are, told him primary is 48" and secondary is 24", but what the contractor put it at is another story. Advised the guy to dig with in 2" of the line spot and hand dig the rest of the way, thats when he got all upset about it until I told him it is his dime for any repairs that need to be made if he cuts that line.

Latest posts

Top Bottom