Gay Colorado couple sues bakery for allegedly refusing them wedding cake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And this is the problem I have with gay marriage. Their beliefs seem to over rule a person's religious beliefs.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/0...ery-for-allegedly-refusing-them-wedding-cake/

The simple solution that no one seems smart enough to grasp is to call it something like civil union and make sure it gives the same rights, responsibilities, and penalties as marriage but without treading on peoples religious beliefs.
Then you include protection for those who's religion take any part in it.

Do all that and nobody gets exactly what they want, but at least it would work while protecting everybody's rights.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The simple solution that no one seems smart enough to grasp is to call it something like civil union and make sure it gives the same rights, responsibilities, and penalties as marriage but without treading on peoples religious beliefs.
Then you include protection for those who's religion take any part in it.

Do all that and nobody gets exactly what they want, but at least it would work while protecting everybody's rights.

I agree completely! I've been saying this for a long time. This is the best compromise there is.

Too bad it makes too much sense.

Marriage has an inherent definition that can not be changed. People don't seem to get that.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It isn't about religion, it is about a business owner deciding he is done selling cakes that day. I don't think there are any laws forcing me to sell something to someone I don't want to.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It isn't about religion, it is about a business owner deciding he is done selling cakes that day. I don't think there are any laws forcing me to sell something to someone I don't want to.

It is about religion, according to the complaint anyway:
Phillips has said making a wedding cake for gay couples would violate his Christian religious beliefs, according to the complaint.

As for forcing you to sell to someone you don't want to, you couldn't just decide you don't want to sell to minorities. There are anti-discrimination laws against that sort of thing.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The funny thing is that according to previous stories I have seen about this case, in daily business he does not discriminate, he just wants no part of a gay marriage. Gays can go into his shop and have been for years. He just will not make a wedding cake for a gay marriage because it is against his beliefs.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for forcing you to sell to someone you don't want to, you couldn't just decide you don't want to sell to minorities. There are anti-discrimination laws against that sort of thing.

Which, as far as I'm concerned, is B.S. too. A person shouldn't have to do business with anyone else, for any reason. If someone doesn't want to do business with me because of my race, religion, national origin, political affliations - or even the car I drive - fine. I'll take my money somewhere else. Eff 'em.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which, as far as I'm concerned, is B.S. too. A person shouldn't have to do business with anyone else, for any reason. If someone doesn't want to do business with me because of my race, religion, national origin, political affliations - or even the car I drive - fine. I'll take my money somewhere else. Eff 'em.

This is absolutely correct. Forcing anyone to do or not to do business, is a restriction of freedom. Framing this as a fight about religious principles sounds nice, but the real issue will be resolved when government decides to tell the business what it must do/who it must serve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom